Senior year curriculum?

Discuss the pros and cons of various curriculums, or get help on which to choose!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

wishing_away19
User

Senior year curriculum?

Postby wishing_away19 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:42 am

If you don't want to read all of this, skip to the last paragraph.

I'm currently a full time student at vlacs, which is an online charter school. I'm a 'public' school student, it's just online. I don't have the flexibility of a home schooled kid. I have to follow typical public school rules and have assignments passed in on certain times. Let's just say that I hate it. I'm stuck on the computer all of the time and barely have any time to hang out with friends and do things that I love. I would go to public school, but the high school that I would have to go to has a very bad reputation..thus the reason why my mom pulled me out.

I want to be home schooled and my mom supports my decision. We have already talked about the benefits of it and I'm definitely going to try it. I've already looked at the laws for my state and it says: State requires parents to send notification, test scores, and/or professional evaluation of student progress. So pretty much I just take a test at the end of the year, or I can have a certified teacher evaluate my portfolio..right?

What books would you recommend for a senior? Someone recommended abeka and I might order some books from them, but I'm not sure. I'm Catholic, so they can be Christian based.

One more quick question: If I'm a working student at a riding stable, can I include that any where in my portfolio? When I say working student, I mean that I help out at the barn(mucking stalls/exercising horses) in exchange for my riding lesson. Can that be included anywhere? I would like to pursue a career with horses, that is why I'm asking.

Thanks in advance. :)

TheresaHPIR
User

Postby TheresaHPIR » Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:46 am

I don't see why you couldn't add your work experience (even if its unpaid) into your portfolio. Maybe look into labeling it as an unpaid internship...get your supervisor to write up a work description, performance review/evaluation, and a verification of hours worked.

elliemaejune
User

Re: Senior year curriculum?

Postby elliemaejune » Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:45 pm

Married to Mr. Ellie for over 40 years
Mother to 2 dds and 2 dsil
Grandmother to 1 sweet boy
Servant of 1 kitteh

Return to “Curriculum Discussion”