Do you compare yourself to other homeschoolers?:-)

Discuss the pros and cons of various curriculums, or get help on which to choose!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

wendi.t.momof4
User

Do you compare yourself to other homeschoolers?:-)

Postby wendi.t.momof4 » Tue Jul 03, 2007 9:13 am

:D Hi there-
I just finished my first year hs all four of my children for the first time- whew and big sigh of relief! I do sometimes worry they didn't learn enough. I'm working on getting them a standardized test- but we do live in a pretty home schooler-friendly state, praise the Lord! I just feel so inadequate when I hear others talking about all the subjects their kids are 'learning' and how they took their standardized tests(which we haven't done yet, can't afford, etc). Anyway, it was pretty overwhelming for me to take all of our kids out of school at once but it was the best decision we ever made for our family! I am certified to teach here and have classroom experience and, although it helps, it was still a challenge. Being a Christian, I've prayed a lot for direction, and also gotten a lot of help at these forums- we almost live 'off the grid' with no car. Anyway, for us, I used an eclectic curriculum and some Charlotte Mason and McGuffey Readers, and tailored my kids instruction to their learning styles -which are all different- and focused on the 3 r's- Reading, 'Riting, and 'Rithmetic for you older folk.tee hee. I guess we 'unschooled' for the other subjects. I think I just need some encouragement and reassurance since it was my first year home schooling all four of my kids, and one is somewhat special needs, 2 have some type of learning challenge, and one is gifted. I'd appreciate any helpful comments and it would probably encourage other 'newbies'. Thanks! :D
Wendi:-)
Jeremiah 29;11-13

Lily
User

Postby Lily » Tue Jul 03, 2007 9:18 am

I don't compare to other homeschoolers, no. :lol: I'm a bit too confident in my decisions and don't worry if another program would be better or not.

Do you keep a blog? I found that was extremely helpful to me last year. I can look back now and say WOW, we did a LOT! It's much harder for me if I just look at the kids and try to assess how much they've changed in the past year.
"The greatest sign of success for a teacher... is to be able to say, "The children are now working as if I did not exist."
- M. Montessori
Proud non-member of the HSLDA

wendi.t.momof4
User

Keeping a blog...

Postby wendi.t.momof4 » Tue Jul 03, 2007 9:49 am

Thanks, that helps. I did just start 'blogging' recently but didn't think about it for hs. Great idea and great encouraging words. :D
Wendi:-)

Jeremiah 29;11-13

frogguruami
User

Postby frogguruami » Tue Jul 03, 2007 9:54 am

No, because I think each child is different and by comparing them to other students and to each other is unfair to them. That comparison is one of my biggest complaints with the PS system. I think in the beginning it is difficult not to compare, if for no other reason than the fear of forgetting to teach something. But after time, I have realized that they will learn what they need to, when they need to. It probably won't correspond with some arbitrary scope and sequence my state has deemed appropriate but I no longer care. :D Now, if I lived in a state that required standardized testing I would probably worry a little more, at least until I moved. :lol:

I also don't compare myself to other homeschooling parents because I know my style is probably not the same as theirs. So I will not be doing the same things they will and they will not be doing the same things I will.

I think homeschooling allows us to be so individualized with our curriculum that comparing just gets in the way.
AM, homeschooling mom to Drake and Kyllian
www.seilerclan.info

momo3boys
User

Postby momo3boys » Tue Jul 03, 2007 3:34 pm

Sometimes I get a little jealous because of other homeschooled children that are doing things that mine aren't. I know that every child is different and that every family is different but that mother in me still gets a little envious of things being done.

I wish sometimes that we had enough money to buy all the great curriculum that others have, and I miss some of the supplies that we don't have, but all in all, we have a great time with what we have.

I have to remember that we are all different and we all have a wonderful way of teaching that is just right for our children.

We just finished our second year, so I know how hard it is to compare to others. Our first year didn't go so well but we are learning and I have to remember that. Every year will get better, and our children learn and we learn how to teach them.
Phi 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.

Ramona
User

Re: DO YOU COMPARE YOURSELF TO OTHER HOMESCHOOLERS?:-)

Postby Ramona » Thu Jul 05, 2007 2:18 pm

Sometimes I find myself comparing us to other families and I usually try to remind myself that by prayer we're doing what's right for our family.

At the end of my first year my dad asked me how I knew that my kids were learning if they didn't take tests. That seemed to me like kind of a silly question: I knew because of the way they acted, the things they talked about, the skills they had gained! After all, isn't education supposed to be preparing children to be mature adults? It's not really about checking off a list of "stuff to learn."

I'd love to reassure and encourage you! I hereby do so! I hope this feels to you like reassurance and encouragement. I believe moms who teach their kids are so great! You're doing fine, I'm sure.

Ramona

MelN2LilMen
User

Postby MelN2LilMen » Sat Jul 07, 2007 1:40 pm

I feel this way a lot, actually. I come across so many people whose children seem advanced... 7 year olds in 4th grade and the like. My 9 year old son has just finished 3rd grade stuff, which is exactly where he should be based on when his b-day is according to the local school district. His b-day is on the tail end of the age cut-off, so if he went to public school, he'd be in the same place. Compared to other homeschoolers I talk to, it seems he is behind. I guess I got him started late compared to other homeschoolers.

My younger son is autistic and is behind his normal grade level because of that.
Mel N 2 Lil Men

Sunnymom
User

Comparing...

Postby Sunnymom » Sat Jul 07, 2007 3:55 pm

StellarStory
User

Postby StellarStory » Fri Jul 13, 2007 12:04 am

Calla_Dragon
User

Postby Calla_Dragon » Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:56 am

To be idle is a short road to death and to be diligent is a way of life; foolish people are idle, wise people are diligent.

wendit59
User

Doing what works best for our family...

Postby wendit59 » Sun Jul 22, 2007 6:56 pm

Jesus Christ is my Lord and Savior!

Return to “Curriculum Discussion”