teaching cursive

Discuss the pros and cons of various curriculums, or get help on which to choose!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

oceandaughter
User

teaching cursive

Postby oceandaughter » Tue Jun 05, 2007 5:46 pm

Theodore

Postby Theodore » Wed Jun 06, 2007 1:44 am

Just look around the Internet or get a book on cursive, pick a style you like, and practice. Lots. Personally, I think being able to print clearly is sufficient in today's world, given the much larger emphasis on typing skill. I can write cursive fairly well, but I never use it in real life except for signing my name.

Of course, some people view cursive more as an art form, but the question then becomes, why cursive and not calligraphy?
Last edited by Theodore on Thu Jun 07, 2007 1:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

iamnettie
User

Postby iamnettie » Wed Jun 06, 2007 2:57 pm

For us we are still mastering clean penmanship in print....then we will move on to curcsive.....we have been working on typing all along. We were using AOP's K and 1st grade and it worked on handwriting. Now for this next year we are going to try "Pentime"

momo3boys
User

Postby momo3boys » Sat Jun 09, 2007 9:49 am

Phi 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.

Lily
User

Postby Lily » Sun Jun 10, 2007 6:05 am

We started with a D'nealian book. It's like beginner cursive - all except the connecting and the uppercase letters, but it gets them used to doing letters in one continuous stroke. I just picked up a dry-erase book that has large cursive letter practice so we'll be using that before he attempts to fit them on a regular sheet of lined paper.

Another idea we've used is a box of sand and a stylus. The sand creates a bit of a drag so the letters are formed slower and with more control.
"The greatest sign of success for a teacher... is to be able to say, "The children are now working as if I did not exist."
- M. Montessori
Proud non-member of the HSLDA

Return to “Curriculum Discussion”