Language Arts Question

Discuss the pros and cons of various curriculums, or get help on which to choose!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

writerchick
User

Language Arts Question

Postby writerchick » Thu May 17, 2007 8:21 am

Mark

Postby Mark » Fri May 18, 2007 12:05 am

maddykate
User

Postby maddykate » Tue Jul 31, 2007 11:06 pm

Hey there!

We have used the entire Spectrum series as our English program. I have a 3rd and 2nd grader. The entire series consists of six different workbooks covering Language Arts, Phonics, Reading, Spelling, Writing, and Vocabulary. We love it. The kids seem to have a sense of satisfaction everyday that they know they "completed" the task for the day. If a particular subject needs more work, I will find alternative activities for them to work on. But this is a really good launching board for us.

Hope this helps.
Maddykate

Ramona
User

Re: Language Arts Question

Postby Ramona » Wed Aug 01, 2007 4:00 pm

For spelling in 1st and 2nd grade, I just make up activities using some of the vocabulary words in our reading books.

For reading I got some old, old used books and workbooks from a public school when they were throwing them out like 10 years ago.

For English I use the Core Knowledge series (What Your First-Grader Needs to Know, etc).

I read chapter books aloud to them and they read silently every day. We use a lot of library books.

I have them practice memorizing and reciting scriptures and grammar rules.

For writing I give them blank books and have them write their spelling words, themes, etc. In first grade I use one with great big lines with dashed lines in the middle. (Do you know what I'm talking about?) For 2nd grade I use the ones with black-and-white covers.

Ramona

Return to “Curriculum Discussion”