Alpha Omega vs. Bob Jones

Discuss the pros and cons of various curriculums, or get help on which to choose!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

Jshersh71
User

Alpha Omega vs. Bob Jones

Postby Jshersh71 » Wed Apr 18, 2007 4:38 pm

In regards to Science and History. I use Horizons from Abeka for the rest on the basics.

My daughter will be in 2nd grade next year and that is what I am looking for.

She is very much a workbook loving child.

I have read different post that Bob Jones is boring but I have not read any thing about Alpha Omega Lifepacs.
I am looking for pros and cons.

Thanks,
Janet

4given
User

Postby 4given » Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:02 am

I am not familiar with BJ. This is our second year using AOP LifePacs. Here are our personal pros:

Unit studies work well for us.
It's easy to store.
It's affordable.
Knowledge is presented from the belief that there is a Creator.
There is very little prep. involved.

cons:

Math is not working for us. We've had occasions where a new idea is presented with no explanation(5th grade). The 2nd grade workbooks have not offered much challenge to my son. I'm looking into Teaching Textbooks, if I can fit it into our budget.

We'll be breaking away from AOP in Language Arts this next school year. I'm planning to use Winston Grammar and pursue our own literary interests. We'll use journaling, pen-palling, and reports for writing.

That's our personal experience. Hope it gives you some insight. I will say that I have all boys, 4 of them. What works with your daughter could be miles apart from what works for us. I think AOP is a good place to start.

Blessings,
Sheila

iamnettie
User

Postby iamnettie » Thu Apr 19, 2007 8:45 am

we use AOP lifepac....we used it for Kindergarten and 1st grade. I think it provided a wonderful foundation for reading, writing and math for my daughter (she is almost done with 1st grade). However for us it is not challenging enough. We get done with school in under 2 hours and she is 100% everything. So we are in the process of picking out new stuff for next year. I will use AOP Lifepac with my 2 younger kids for K and 1 since it was good for us. I do like it as a great way to get started because the lessons are very organized for a person to follow.

elliemaejune
User

Re: Alpha Omega vs. Bob Jones

Postby elliemaejune » Fri Apr 20, 2007 9:02 pm

novo4
User

Postby novo4 » Sun Apr 22, 2007 10:03 pm

elliemaejune can you please share what it is you prefer?
Thanks!
Heidi
Heidi

Return to “Curriculum Discussion”