Homeschooling thru HS and Pre-Employment Background Checks

Find out how to handle homeschooling through high school and college prep!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

Lauria
User

Homeschooling thru HS and Pre-Employment Background Checks

Postby Lauria » Thu Jul 06, 2006 5:05 am

... the outcome really depends on the company you're being hired with -- not the background check company.

I was homeschooled for high school, and went to college almost 10 years ago after completing our family's curriculum. I've had two experiences where I had to have a background check that verified educational experience, not just previous employment/criminal etc. The first was a horrific experience -- the second, which I am in the process of now, I hope will work out.

For the first, the job requsition stated it needed a "high school diploma or GED". In my case, my state wouldn't allow me to take a high school equivalency exam before I left for college -- I was admitted to college right before my 17th birthday. Our family didn't have the money to pay for some of the services that will keep your records and issue a diploma. I've seen much better offerings for those who plan to homeschool for high school when your state doesn't offer an equivalency test (we were from Arkansas) lately, this was awhile ago.

However, I am firmly of the opinion that if a homeschooler graduates from their parents curriculum they have the right to say they have a high school diploma. It might not be accredited, but there are lots of other programs we could have gone through that likely weren't accredited but would have given the paper that the first company wanted so badly. They wouldn't accept one from my mother's home school. Even though I went to college on full scholarship.

This time the background check people have given me a hard time as well, and I immediately called my company's recruiter and explained the situation. I made sure when I applied that the job requision did not say anything about a high school diploma, and said I was homeschooled in the interview (the other time it was just on my resume).

He agreed with me, and said they have the final decision-making power. Of course, this company's home office is in a slightly more progressive state, where people homeschool through high school more often and have a state equivalency test. When I explained that as far as I know Arkansas still does not allow homeschoolers to take the GED early if they go to college early, or have any state equivalency test they can take that labels them as homeschoolers and not dropouts, he was appalled.

They said I have the job regardless of how the background check comes out on this issue.

... God does look out for us! This is a much better job than the other one that declined me for being homeschooled!

Theodore

Re: Homeschooling thru HS and Pre-Employment Background Chec

Postby Theodore » Thu Jul 06, 2006 10:41 am

Another option is to take individual subject tests for everything, especially core / major areas. A lot of colleges do consider the GED to be second-rate, but good AP, CLEP, or DSST exam scores are accepted everywhere for purposes of high school graduation, and will often get you a good chunk of college credit as well. Just find out what your state requires for official high school graduation, cover the material, and either portfolio or take an exam for each subject area.

Note - this route won't give you an "official" state diploma either, but a self-awarded diploma is every bit as good if you can back it up with test scores and/or a well-organized portfolio of work.

Lauria
User

Re: Homeschooling thru HS and Pre-Employment Background Chec

Postby Lauria » Fri Jul 07, 2006 8:00 pm

Aarav
User

Re: Homeschooling thru HS and Pre-Employment Background Checks

Postby Aarav » Mon Oct 30, 2023 6:47 am

Homeschooling through high school offers a unique educational path, providing tailored learning experiences and fostering independence. It often equips students with diverse skills and critical thinking, preparing them for higher education or the workforce. Pre-employment background checks serve as a standard procedure for many employers, ensuring a safe and reliable work environment. For homeschoolers, it's essential to maintain a comprehensive record of academic achievements, extracurricular activities, and any certifications to demonstrate qualifications during these background checks. This process underlines the importance of preparing and documenting one's educational journey meticulously to showcase capabilities effectively in the professional sphere, validating the rigor and excellence of homeschool education.

Maria465
User

Postby Maria465 » Fri Nov 10, 2023 2:54 am

"Homeschooling through high school can be a rewarding educational choice, fostering personalized learning and self-motivation. However, it's essential to consider potential challenges when transitioning to higher education or the workforce. Pre-employment background checks may scrutinize unconventional educational paths, requiring transparent documentation of homeschooling achievements. Advocacy for standardized evaluation methods and increased recognition of homeschooling as a legitimate educational pathway can contribute to a fairer assessment for homeschooled individuals entering the job market

david77
User

Postby david77 » Fri Dec 15, 2023 3:17 am

Homeschooling through high school is a unique and rewarding journey, offering personalized education. However, it's essential to consider its implications on per-employment background checks. Ensuring proper documentation, transcripts, and accreditation will be vital for a smooth transition into the workforce or higher education. Clearly articulating the homeschooling experience can help prospective employers understand the diverse skills and perspectives gained, turning it into a valuable asset during background assessments.

mitchel77
User

Postby mitchel77 » Fri Dec 22, 2023 2:40 am

hii

Return to “High School / College Prep”