Christian novels for mom and teenage son?

Find out how to handle homeschooling through high school and college prep!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

Reepicheep
User

Christian novels for mom and teenage son?

Postby Reepicheep » Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:55 pm

My son and I had novels in common when he was younger. I mean stories we both loved so much that the characters and worlds became a part of who we were. This mutual enjoyment contributed a lot to our relationship.

The key thing about these stories is that we both read them on our own. In other words, he didn't read Narnia because I wanted him to, nor did I read it because he wanted me to. We made the decision to read independent of what the other person preferred.

He is a teenager now, and everything has changed. He can't stand the Christian bookstore, and how can I blame him? It is feminine, even effeminate. The Christian novels are essentially all written for women. And the novels he reads now (all secular) I have no interest in. Sure, I can force myself to read one of his books every now and then, but that is the point - I am under compulsion. Thus reading the story does not really build our relationship. There is no real sharing of worlds or characters.

Are there Christian novels that a (very bright) teenage boy and his mother would both choose to read on their own (without knowing that the other person was making the same choice)?

I do so miss having this in common.
Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter East.

4given
User

Postby 4given » Sun Jan 10, 2010 6:28 am

The only thing that comes to mind is The Lord of the Rings Trilogy, but you've probably already done that. Though not technically Christian, it is stuffed with scriptural symbolisms.

My 2 oldest sons (13 and 11) and I are currently in the 2nd book of the Inkworld Trilogy (Inkspell). These are not Christian, however.

Let's see... isn't there a Left Behind series for adults? If I'm thinking of the right books, they were not feminine... and there was suspense, etc.

I know this wasn't much help, but I tried. :D

Reepicheep
User

Thanks for suggestions

Postby Reepicheep » Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:36 pm

I appreciate your comments. I may force myself to read Inkspell in the next year, though I can't say I'm really looking forward to it.

The Left Behind books are Premillennial (meaning they present a pessimistic view of the church's future). We hold to what is called a Postmillennial eschatology (meaning an optimistic view of the church's future). So I am not really interested in reading the Left Behind books (besides, what I read of the first novel in the series revealed mediocre writing skills; surely Christians can write better than this!).

Is there a Reformed alternative to Left Behind? Is there a new C. S. Lewis? Something? Anything? We can't all be stuck in the escapism of period romances and end-times novels! Lewis wrote fantasy and science fiction, but none of it was escapist.

Shouldn't Christians be writing the best fiction in the world, given our supposed commitment to excellence and doing all things to the glory of God? Why are we so saccharine? So unremarkable?

Doubt not, Reepicheep,

To find all you seek,

There is the utter East.

4given
User

Re: Thanks for suggestions

Postby 4given » Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:31 am

Reepicheep
User

Lack of posts depressing

Postby Reepicheep » Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:22 pm

Thanks to the one person who gave me ideas. Perhaps few people use this forum, which explains why no one else offered title suggestions. I would hate to think the alternative is true - that there is no Christian fiction being written today that anyone will care to read a hundred years from now.

How did we go from creating some of the best art, music, and literature in the history of humanity to being a cultural joke? Surely Christianity must be more than fire-insurance!

Doubt not, Reepicheep,

To find all you seek,

There is the utter East.

Theodore

Postby Theodore » Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:29 am

Only thing I can think of off-hand is some of the Frank Peretti books, specifically This Present Darkness / Piercing The Darkness:
http://www.frankperetti.com/product/228 ... entid=1371

And maybe some of these (my favorite was Tombs of Anak):
http://www.frankperetti.com/youngadult.htm

Reepicheep
User

Found a book online

Postby Reepicheep » Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:26 pm

It did not occur to me before (not sure why), but I googled science fiction reformed alternative to left behind and actually got a hit

The Discipling of Mytra

It says it is a Christian novel. Does anyone know anything about it?

Doubt not, Reepicheep,

To find all you seek,

There is the utter East.

leekyle
User

Mother and Son

Postby leekyle » Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:07 am

Mother and Son

A lady asked, Where can I find
Reformed altern’ to Left Behind?
On Amazon it can be seen,
Search for an auth’ named Rich Coffeen.
But will I wish soon to repent
When sixteen dollars I have spent?

Twixt mother, son yawns icy gorge;
Across that breach this book can forge
A span of story, wealth of tale,
Affection rendered freshly hale.
This novel commonality
My Mytra gives to both of thee.

http://richcoffeen.wordpress.com/

Maybe this is what you are looking for.
leekyle

4given
User

Postby 4given » Sat Feb 13, 2010 6:26 am

Very creative, leekyle! :D

Alastrina
User

Postby Alastrina » Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:06 pm

I don't know if anyone mentioned these books, but have you tried the Dragon Keeper series? They are Christian fantasy books. Perhaps more of girl books, but I know some guys who enjoyed them too. There are about 5 good sized books, so if you want something to read, try those! They are by Donita K. Paul. :)

Return to “High School / College Prep”