Page 1 of 1

Few questions

Posted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 5:11 am
by jamal319
Ok lets say me and my Mother decided she would allow me to home school, so yes i guess ill be self educated or whatever you call it, now how extacly do i start?? i cant just say oh ok im now homeschooled. where do i begin to take my courses how does the highschool know im going to be homeshcooled so to take me out or whatever? Im in 11th at the moment, after my 2 years, how do i know if i passes/failed. and if i did pass do i get a diploma? or what do i get. So pretty much i would need to know how extacly do i get started like ok boom now im homeschooled and what courses would i need to take to graudate ?(Sorry for so many ?S just need to get the information understood)

Thanks any info about this would help

Posted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 7:50 am
by iamnettie
First what state are you in? Most of the questions you asked will vary from state to state, depending on the homeschooling laws.

Posted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 1:21 pm
by jamal319
Im in New York

Posted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 4:01 pm
by Theodore
We have a thread on the legal aspects of NY homeschooling in our Homeschool Law area. Basically, your mom sends the school district a Letter of Intent stating that you are going to be homeschooled, then they send back a form to fill out for an "individualized home instruction plan" (IHIP). That should be fairly self-explanatory. You'll also need to do annual testing, which can be any official state test or accredited third-party offering.

Also see the HSLDA page on NY legal requirements.

Regarding graduation, you just get a list of the high school graduation requirements for your state, study all those subjects, and preferably test out of them through AP, CLEP, or DSST exams. Colleges may accept a portfolio of work as well, but test scores make things easier for them to compare you to other applicants, which is a good thing if you really know your stuff and get good scores.

Posted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 5:00 am
by jamal319
Ok thanks for the help just like two more questions, One you said I'd need to have testing such as third party testing or something? What extacly do you mean by that and when do I take those test. Second you said I would study the work and test out on stuff such as AP, CLEP and you said another one. Where do I take those test also? Could that be online? Thanks.

Posted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:57 am
by Theodore
By third-party testing I mean tests offered by companies rather than the state. You can get testing through Bob Jones, for instance. Any major test will need to be proctored, however, which means going to an official testing location (local high school, community college, army base, etc.), or finding someone who fulfills the proctor guidelines (usually not a relative). Basically, no, you can't take the tests online or have your mother proctor them herself, at least not to my knowledge.

Posted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 7:19 am
by jamal319
Ok im understanding.....thanks for alot of the help 1 more question theo, as for the testing i clicked the website you posted and looking at Stanford Achievement Tests, is that what your talking about? i would order that complete that? also when would i know to take the regents exams? for like each subject etc.. or do i need that if i have the other testing.

Posted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 12:11 pm
by iamnettie
I know from the Bob Jones Site he gave you, you can get a hold of them and they can tell you who is allowed to give the test in your area. Thus you can get in contact with a 3rd party person to give you the test. Such as I am certified to administer the Iowa Basics and the Stanford Test (I am in Missouri though). But I know when I got certified I was able to say, yes let people contact me if they need someone to administer a test to their children.

Here is the contact info to ask them for help locating a testing administrator in your area.

Phone 1.800.845.5731 or 1.864.242.5100 ext. 3300 (for questions)
Fax 1.866.477.TEST (8378) or 1.864.770.1326

Posted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 4:24 pm
by Theodore
Yep. Your mom may not be able to administer the test, but chances are there are other homeschoolers in your area who can.