Can a homeschool child go to college?

Find out how to handle homeschooling through high school and college prep!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

joyfulheart
User

Can a homeschool child go to college?

Postby joyfulheart » Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:47 pm

Homeschool students can go to college, but not all colleges accept homeschool students. More and more are accepting hs students, but there are a few things that helped my son receive scholarship offers from several top rate colleges:

He took several courses at a local junior college (and got A's..)-this proves he can do "real school" to the colleges-as well as helps to prepare him for the HUGE transition.

He took the ACT and the SAT. He took the ACT 3 times, and you can designate which score you want the school to see (at least at the time, things do change). The ACT test isn't that hard, it's just hard to finish in the time allowed. So the more they take it, the faster they get. You can take the ACT as many times as you want-it's worth it.

It also helps to use a ACT study aid like a book or computer program. Get that score as high as possible-we referred to it as my son's part-time job to study for it...it was money in his pocket in the form of scholarships!

Also, you will want to check on the course requirements of the college you are applying to well before graduation, you may need to add a few courses in their senior year.

Hope this all helps homeschoolers considering college. One last nugget...Christian families should SERIOUSLY consider a Christian college, especially for boys.

HSCollegeGuide
User

homeschoolers and college

Postby HSCollegeGuide » Tue Oct 06, 2009 4:24 pm

To my knowledge, every college and university in the country now excepts homeschooled students, although some are much easier to work with than others. I spoke with an admissions counselor from Yale last week, and he said they have many homeschooled students attending there. The application and admissions process is the same. A student must turn in a transcript and ACT/SAT scores for review. They will be looking more closely at the standardized test scores, along with service projects and extra-curriculars, than at the GPA, as they assume it's more subject in a home school environment.

JoshCHS
User

Postby JoshCHS » Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:14 pm

HSLDA has a great page that discusses Home School Admission Policies of different colleges and universities.

http://www.hslda.org/docs/nche/000002/0 ... iginal.asp
Josh
www.christianhomeschoolstore.com
Christian curriculum -- discounted prices

Return to “High School / College Prep”