How much math is too much?

Everything from basic math up through high school!

Moderators: Bob Hazen, Theodore, elliemaejune

HSHS
User

How much math is too much?

Postby HSHS » Wed Sep 16, 2009 6:50 am

OK, my DD loves math. LOVES IT. She tested as being ready for 8/7 in Saxon even though she's fourteen (9th) so we've already bought that. I've no doubt we'll finish it within a couple of weeks since she knows most of it already, then we're planning on starting Algebra I with Saxon. We're also using MindSprinting too which is covering the stuff she didn't 'get' in the assessment test. She's pleased with it so far and finally knows how to divide fractions which she struggled over for years in school.

So, my question is, how much math is too much? She loves math and would happily do it for hours per day but should I let her? She picks things up quickly and once she knows how to do it, it sticks with her. The plan was that we did an hour of math to start her 'school day' with something easy to her, then do all her other work & then I thought maybe I should let her go off and do 'her thing' even if she decides to carry on with her math. Is this a good idea?

4given
User

Postby 4given » Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:14 am

I am a math lover, as well. I would sit for hours working problems just for fun. IMO, as long as no other areas are being neglected, let her pursue her passion.

HSHS
User

Postby HSHS » Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:21 am

That's why I thought we'd do an hour of math to get her into the rest of her work easily, then she can do whatever she feels like after she finishes all her other work. She could very easily graduate within two/three years with calculus. It's geometry that's going to be difficult. S: But then it'll get covered a lot in mindsprinting then we'll see if she can test out of it otherwise we'll have to struggle through. She likes numbers, not shapes. xD

er1823
User

Postby er1823 » Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:57 am

I agree with 4given. Encourage her to explore and develop critical thinking skills. It is good to have a child develop interest at a young age.

Cheers
Rita Enrico
Proud homeschooling parent

MathonDVDs.com
User

Postby MathonDVDs.com » Mon May 30, 2011 11:47 am

Hi,
Let your daughter do math as long as it doesn't interfere too much with her other studies. If subject X is not related to math and your daughter wants to be a mathematician or go into some math related field I truly believe that she should put more time into math than subject x.

Alicelewis11
User

Postby Alicelewis11 » Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:14 am

I am a math teacher and teaching math at high school. Some time i also like to spend my time to solve some math question, to find some easy way to solve the question.

deenamathew
User

Postby deenamathew » Wed Sep 03, 2014 4:15 am

mnuelreyes
User

Postby mnuelreyes » Wed Sep 03, 2014 5:12 am

Same here bro. I've been doing my SAT Prepand I believe its the only subject that lets you score 100% marks. Moreover, it even don't take very huge conpets you're just required to learn some formulas and some basic thinking is enough. !

tellmeaboutit
User

Postby tellmeaboutit » Sun Oct 26, 2014 10:02 pm

I believe you should encourage and support your child. If that is their talent then don't worry about over doing it. That goes the same for music, painting, writing, history, science etc.
Make the world a better place

davidharper
User

Postby davidharper » Tue Nov 18, 2014 3:09 am

Well yes you can follow the things suggested here.
http://momentumacademy.net/new_website/ You can join few good online courses also for math and other subjects.

RPascal206
User

RE: Too Much Math?

Postby RPascal206 » Mon Jul 20, 2015 10:00 pm

I love math, and I love it when I hear that others enjoy it too. :D

I think it's great when children enjoy math. The truth is, when compared to other subjects, math is a subject that requires much more time and dedication to master. Not surprisingly, many people struggle with math because they never dedicated sufficient time for the subject.

At my house one of the most important subjects is math (Bible is the most important subject). Not surprisingly then, lots of us love math. In fact, even though I have already graduated our homeschool,math is still my favorite hobby. Below are two of my cartoon-filled math blog posts :) :

http://plantedbyrivers.blogspot.com/201 ... culus.html

http://plantedbyrivers.blogspot.com/201 ... rules.html

All in all, I think that if a child LOVES math, and is already proficient in reading and writing, then there is nothing wrong if he/she decides to dedicate several hours to doing math.
The Lord has greatly blessed me: I am the oldest daughter of ten children, and I LOVE it!
My family's blog is: http://plantedbyrivers.blogspot.com/

Return to “Math”