Times tables drill software?

Everything from basic math up through high school!

Moderators: Bob Hazen, Theodore, elliemaejune

Molly Heard
User

Times tables drill software?

Postby Molly Heard » Tue Aug 25, 2009 5:11 pm

Hi,

Does anyone know of some good software for learning times tables...also concepts in division...

My son is having a little trouble with these subjects.

Thanks,
Molly

Theodore

Postby Theodore » Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:11 pm

Any math drill software will probably work fine. If you don't mind installing DOSBox, you could try Number Munchers, which was a lot of fun in its day (and is now downloadable for free). More recently, we used Barnum Quartermile.

On a somewhat related topic... there was an ancient Apple IIE game I played way back that was sort of like Scrabble with math equations. You got random numbers and operators and had to place them on the board. If anyone knows what that game was called, let me know.

Lily
User

Postby Lily » Sat Aug 29, 2009 12:41 pm

There's an actual board game of that, Theodore. It's called Equate. I know Mindware sells it as well as educationallearninggames.com

There's a free game online called Timez Attack that teaches the tables in a cute video game, Molly.
"The greatest sign of success for a teacher... is to be able to say, "The children are now working as if I did not exist."
- M. Montessori
Proud non-member of the HSLDA

Theodore

Postby Theodore » Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:11 pm

I looked inside our ancient copy of Pride's Guide to Educational Software and found the name at least - I think it was called Quations. Not having much success locating a copy, though.

Should have my bro recreate it for Windows / Mac, he's studying to be a game designer :)

learning444
User

I found an ipod touch/iphone app

Postby learning444 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:25 pm

Jill
User

Postby Jill » Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:43 am

Jill

Sheepdog
User

Postby Sheepdog » Sat Jan 23, 2010 8:32 am

MathonDVDs.com
User

Postby MathonDVDs.com » Mon May 30, 2011 11:40 am

Hi,
There is only on device to use to learn basic math facts and that is this little hand held device called the Flashmaster. My DD, who is 6 yrs old, prefers playing with this over her DS game. The device is simply amazing!

sgordon
User

Math Music

Postby sgordon » Mon Jun 20, 2011 1:35 am

My daughter had trouble memorizing math facts, probably due to boredum and ADHD. So we got her some CDs of math music. They are full of songs that go over all the math facts. She enjoyed the music, and so she listened to them over and over and learned pretty much all her multiplication tables and some tricky subtraction facts, bit by bit, without realizing it - no fuss.

For tricky ones, I also taught her to count back or forward from a fact she remembered to find one she forgot. So if she forgot 7x7, she could go back to what was 7x6 and just add one more 7. After a while she would stop forgetting.

Now, I think she knows them better than I do, I've used a calculator for too long.. lol

Teacher&Coach
User

Re: Times tables drill software?

Postby Teacher&Coach » Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:01 pm

Theodore

Postby Theodore » Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:37 am

Basic math has to be memorized, otherwise you can't do anything more advanced in any reasonable amount of time. It makes no practical difference whether you answer 6 x 7 or 45 / 9 on paper or on the computer, the end result is exactly the same - except the computer can make it more fun and you don't have to print out worksheets.

Blessings4all
User

Postby Blessings4all » Sat Nov 19, 2011 8:12 pm

My kids liked Timez Attack. You can find it at multiplication.com as well as other online multiplication games.

Return to “Math”