Place Value for a 4- year old- am I expecting too much?

Everything from basic math up through high school!

Moderators: Bob Hazen, Theodore, elliemaejune

Mommyof3blessings
User

Place Value for a 4- year old- am I expecting too much?

Postby Mommyof3blessings » Sat Jun 29, 2013 6:00 am

RPascal206
User

Place Value for a 4 Year Old

Postby RPascal206 » Sat Jul 06, 2013 6:34 pm

First, I would like to say that you are doing an excellent job homeschooling. The fact that your daughter can read at a 1st-2nd grade level is fantastic! Developing good reading skills is crucial, and that is exactly what you have done. Great Job!

As for place values, you really don’t have to worry about those yet. In fact, we don’t start doing place values until the child starts working with larger numbers (e.g. adding 3 digit numbers together).

While you’re waiting, you could teach her numbers, addition, subtraction, and maybe even her times tables! Above all, however, it is crucial to instill in your daughter a love for learning: make sure you never frustrate her and always encourage her. As long as you make it fun, you’ll see that your daughter will love both math and learning in general.

If the curriculum you’re using isn’t working out, you could either modify it as you go, OR you could just stop using it altogether. She is after all only four, and there really is no need to follow a rigid curriculum at this age (actually, there never is a need for rigid curricula when you homeschool! :lol: ) Of course, If you really are determined to teach her place values, you probably could: just make sure it’s both refreshing and fun! :D

Hope this helps, and God bless! :)
The Lord has greatly blessed me: I am the oldest daughter of ten children, and I LOVE it!
My family's blog is: http://plantedbyrivers.blogspot.com/

Mommyof3blessings
User

Re: Place Value for a 4 Year Old

Postby Mommyof3blessings » Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:57 am

Thanks so much! I am sure with having as many children as you do, you are quite the expert! She seems do be doing well with at least addition and subtraction, so I think I'll focus on that for now and come back to place values again maybe in the fall to see where she stands on it.

Moti
User

A Place Value book and in general

Postby Moti » Sun Oct 06, 2013 3:54 am

Firstly, at 4.5 years old she may be a bit too young for Place value, but, given her reading level, it seems her she should be able to learn it as it is actually much like reading.

The book I wrote on it (see http://www.ainmath.com) teaches it thoroughly and in a very easy way to understand and I've had kids as young as she learn to name (or write when told the name) VERY large numbers (even 15 digits long) because it breaks it down to few rules and few names to remember - the logic behind the system.

sgottlieb
User

place holder

Postby sgottlieb » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:01 am

I think that you can teach your child about place holder. You need to teach her how to write numbers (and I am sure you did) and explain how each position can only hold up to 9 (just can have the digits). This concept is the beginning of learning place holders.

Return to “Math”