I wanna do a home made math camp with DS

Everything from basic math up through high school!

Moderators: Bob Hazen, Theodore, elliemaejune

mamaholly
User

I wanna do a home made math camp with DS

Postby mamaholly » Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:52 pm

We are travelling next week cross country. We travel a lot with DH. Sometimes we do formal schooling while we're gone and sometimes we skip it. This time I have a bug to do something a little different.

I want to do a sort of math camp. I've put math concepts on hold as I go back and ensure that DS masters his addition and subtraction facts. He's 3rd grade.

So help me come up with fun stuff to do. Here are some of my ideas:

1. flash cards
2. Addition the fun way (we both love it)
3. Online math games
4. Board games like yahtzee/pass the pigs...

Should I try incorporating some concepts back into the mix? I really want to enrich him in math this week and have fun... maybe get ready to move onto to something other than only drill for a while.

I'm going to also check out the thread about Family Math Fun. I'd love suggestions for logistics as well.

I tend to offer pennies as rewards and then allow him to cash them in for a minute of video games for each penny.

Should we have several short sessions throughout the day? Or a least of activities to accomplish for the day or what? Help me flesh this out.
Mom to John (8yo) and Hanna (19mo)

Bob Hazen

doing your own family math camp

Postby Bob Hazen » Sat Nov 22, 2008 5:53 am

If you're looking for fun stuff to do with math, I've written a booklet called "Math Games to Supplement Any Math Curriculum" which can be found on my website at www.AlgebraForKids.com, where there are several links to math resources including this booklet as well as quite a few math games. My booklet includes some games you can play at home with a deck of cards, as well as game variations of some common commercial math games that many families already have (like Chutes & Ladders, or Yahtzee). Hope this helps!

Bob Hazen

Return to “Math”