Resources for kid who loves math

Everything from basic math up through high school!

Moderators: Bob Hazen, Theodore, elliemaejune

kmamma
User

Resources for kid who loves math

Postby kmamma » Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:31 am

Hi all. I'm not currently homeschooling my son because of the laws in our new country of residence, but it's becoming more and more obvious that in order to encourage my son's love of math, we're going to have to supply our own resources.

So, I'm looking for any type of resource specifically for kids who really enjoy math. Curriculum, books etc. He's 9 but I have no idea what 'level' he's at. For now he's mostly just interested in arithmetics, as well as strategic games and such. He likes to do 'head' calculations, right now he's enjoying double integer multiplication. Preferrably, the resources should focus on understanding math concepts rather than memorization. For example, he refuses to be taught short cuts, but will usually come up with his own after som time of figuring things out 'from scratch'.
Also, I'm need of resources for parents/teachers to help me understand what challenges/help he needs, and math concepts, what it's all useful for etc. I'm alright with math, always did well in school, but I definitely don't have the same enthusiasm:).

Thanks!

hscoach
User

Postby hscoach » Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:08 am

Here is a link that should be helpful.

http://www.giftedstudy.org/resources/students/math.asp

six
User

free on line

Postby six » Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:14 am

www.khanacademy.org is free and goes from simple addition through college calculus+++

You do need a google or facebook (dont use facebook if you want any privacy)

It tracks and maps what are to do next.It teaches with short videos and instant answers
He can do as much or as little as he wants, There are even virtual badges given out for work done.
My five kids use it at all levels! :D

sgottlieb
User

Postby sgottlieb » Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:44 pm

My line of math videos will keep your son busy and it will explain the concepts perfectly--and I guarantee that! Just go to www.mathondvds.com

merylvdm
User

Postby merylvdm » Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:31 pm

I have 2 blog posts that may help you:

This is the Best Math App I have seen - http://fundafunda.com/blog/best-math-app.html. Available for Android and iOS

And these are the resources I use in the math club I run: http://fundafunda.com/blog/math-club-resources.html

Maths Tutor
User

Postby Maths Tutor » Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:24 am

Hello, may I recommend you a website with webcasts for math lessons? You can watch some demo lessons with your child to see if he likes the teaching method. http://www.themathstutor.com.au/.

deenamathew
User

Postby deenamathew » Wed Sep 03, 2014 4:18 am

chalkdust3r
User

Postby chalkdust3r » Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:10 pm

Daydream
User

Postby Daydream » Thu Oct 22, 2015 6:10 am

asnmdirteha
User

Postby asnmdirteha » Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:12 am

A great website that I use a lot is Beestar. It has a ton of worksheets and I can see the progress of the kids online which is really helpful. My students also love the worksheets so it has been a win-win for everyone.

Dipanshu
User

Re: Resources for kid who loves math

Postby Dipanshu » Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:29 am

Must-Have Math Resources For Kids Who Loves Math

For kids, learning mathematics can be either boring or interesting. This totally depends on how they see to it. So, what are the math resources that you have stocked up for your kids who love math? If not yet, then take a cue from the list below of these must-have math resources for the kids who love math that you should have now!

Math Board Games as Interactive Math Resources for kids

Add math board games in your home and see the kids loves the process of playing the game. Math strategy board games ( https://logicroots.com/mathgames/ ) are some of the best ways to involve the students into math activities while they have fun. The family member can altogether play the game with their kids and then this will help to develop a family bond with each other.

Advantages:
As the children find different strategies to solve problems and get hold of the numbers, it enhances their strategic mathematical thinking.
Playing the same games repeatedly helps improve their computational ability with ease.
Kids can practice with the help of the board games even any guidance and you can assess them in a group or as individuals.
Kids get to build a deeper understanding of numbers and operation by learning number systems like 10s, 100s, and 1000s while they are involved in the computational practice.
These math games can also be played at home, and hence, helps create a school-to-home connection. This way even the parents will know about their kid’s mathematical development while they play the games with them.

Lessons and Videos as visual Math Resources for kids

Technology is the need of the moment and nowadays all kids know how to use smartphones etc they can have more fun and engaging by using tablets, computers which to help the little ones learn and interesting facts on math through the different video lessons https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... DTyHfjE_sk fund on some great web resources like Khan Academy, Discovery Education, K-5 Teaching Resources, etc.

Advantages:
Visuals are engaging for both kids and adults alike, and hence, have the capability to make the sessions more interactive which the kids will eventually enjoy and learn from.
The vivid colors, the real sounds, and the moving objects create a sensory experience that lets the ideas to take form.
It helps you to engage and motivate the kids in innovative ways, for instance, helping them develop math skills using the Protractor on iPad that helps measures angles, using geometry pad or attending the virtual classrooms.

Math Worksheets as Printable Math Resources for kids

Worksheets are perhaps the easiest way to practice math, especially if they are the fun printable like the Christmas worksheets, Halloween or the ones that are organized by grades. These are free colorful worksheets form great math resources for kids that are not only fun as the kids need to fill the answers with colors, but also solve a problem in the process - https://logicroots.com/math-worksheets/.

Advantages:
Worksheets make for the easiest props to engage two more or kids at one time without much effort.
Kids love to draw and stories and in doing so if they are successful practicing one problem repeatedly they will enjoy doing it.
If the kid is totally disinterested in a certain math concept, fun worksheets are the best way to engage them with the help of fun pictures and colors.
Practice is the key and worksheets target exactly that by helping the kids practice the problem that they are not so comfortable with.

Music Related to Math as Fun Math Resource for kids

Music is a great medium to help kids to develop strong math skills. From Multiplication or division to numbers, they can master most complex math concepts with activities like circle dances, rhymes, playing instruments and more.
Advantages:
By understanding the beats, rhythms, and scales, your kids learn how to create fractions, identify patterns or to divide.
Kids love to count by rote helps improve the memorizing process with the help of routine and repetition, thus improving their basic math skills also.
Your kids learn to experience patterns via listening, movement and playing instruments that generate through beats, rhythm, and melodies.

David Jose
User

Postby David Jose » Wed Aug 12, 2020 12:27 am

I would recommend going on https://www.twinkl.es/resources/keystage2-ks2/ks2-maths I came across this site a little while back and I really like it, it has maths resources from primary to secondary school! I would also check out TES and Khan Academy as they have some good maths resources too

markmark
User

Postby markmark » Fri Nov 06, 2020 4:59 am

To OP:

Thank you for the recommendations. I've been looking for similar resources myself these past few months. Really appreciate the detailed descriptions as well. Here's one similar free resource if anyone's interested -- This one's called Big Ideas Math. It offers examples and explanations of mathematical concepts generally introduced at the high school level. It's 101, easy to follow, and covers concepts all the way from Linear Equations and Inequalities to aspects related to Reasoning and Proofs.

jacklien
User

Postby jacklien » Wed Dec 02, 2020 3:39 am

Kid who loves math they must use this unit converter. It has individual converters and calculators along with explanation.

DanHat
User

Postby DanHat » Mon May 17, 2021 10:29 am

Gotta say, David's on the money here, my boys are loving Twinkle's games at the moment:
They've got games about the jungle, pizza & magic but all also about math, it's pretty cool. Though I'm sure me saying that means it's no longer cool LOL.

Return to “Math”