Where do you buy manipulatives?

Everything from basic math up through high school!

Moderators: Bob Hazen, Theodore, elliemaejune

springmama
User

Where do you buy manipulatives?

Postby springmama » Mon Jun 16, 2008 3:14 pm

I was all set to buy a bunch of math manipulatives for the upcoming school year from http://www.learningthings.com, then I decided to check out our local parent teacher store today and it is way more expensive to buy locally. I'm just wondering if I should go ahead and make my purchase at Learning Things or if there is a better place that I don't know about.
Kathy, mom to 4 amazing kids!

Kitty-Cat
User

Postby Kitty-Cat » Mon Jun 16, 2008 4:11 pm

Some maths curriculums come with there own maniplatives. If it doesn't then I guess you have to see how they wold fit in. We use Math-U-See which has it's own maniplatives. You can check those out on the MUS page.
Jo from Australia

momo3boys
User

Postby momo3boys » Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:34 pm

I use timberdoodle, I guess it depends on what you are looking for. Yes, local teacher stores are way more expensive.
Phi 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.

ncmom
User

Postby ncmom » Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:06 pm

I didn't buy my math manipulatives. I made my own. We used straws, beans, buttons, an old clock that I had laying around, and whatever else I could find. I even made my own fraction manipulatives. I try to save money where ever I can. I guess if your curriculum calls for a specific item then you don't have a choice but you might be able to substitute something else.

Jazzy
User

Postby Jazzy » Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:14 am

We bought ours through Sonlight when we purchased our pre-k curriculum. I don't know how their price compares to Learning Things.

I agree that you can make your own. We haven't used very many of the items formally. I mostly just let the kids play around with them.

Return to “Math”