Georgia requirement of annual progress assement.

Find or post information on the legal aspects of homeschooling in your state.

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

teenutter
User

Georgia requirement of annual progress assement.

Postby teenutter » Fri Jun 09, 2006 9:06 pm

Hi,
I am finishing up our school year and in review of the state law requirements for GA, I discovered I need to write an annual progress assessment report in each required subject area for my daughter. I am not sure what to write exactly, when I spoke to our local school board she said it is a summary of what my child has accomplished this past year. We just finished 7th grade, We covered sooo much I am not sure if writing every thing down would be called a summary, its more like a short story! Does any one have any suggestions on how to do this?
:? Thank you

Theodore

Re: Georgia requirement of annual progress assement.

Postby Theodore » Fri Jun 09, 2006 9:37 pm

I guess the overall guideline is: if it's taking more than a page per subject to write your summary, you need to summarize more. It's usually fairly easy - just look at the index for the textbook you're using, then copy the section headings for the parts you covered (or in many cases, you can go to the publisher's web site and get an index from there, which saves some typing). If you didn't use textbooks, or if the subject matter was sort of mix and match, then download syllabuses of the proper grade level from the Internet and cut and paste as necessary from those.

Since there aren't any specific legal guidelines as to how much detail you have to go into on your summary, all you have to make sure of is that the summary shows you covered:

http://www.ghea.org/pages/resources/stateLaw.php

The home school must provide "a basic academic educational program ... that includes, but is not limited to, reading, language arts, math, social studies, and science.

Also, in the vast majority of cases, you won't be required to produce the summary, just store it for three years:

According to the Attorney General of Georgia, the local superintendent does not the have the authority to require parents to affirmatively produce evidence of their continuing compliance with the law in the operation of home study programs or require the production of documents. Although the superintendent has the authority to "request" such materials, he cannot require parents to submit them.

Against My Will
User

Postby Against My Will » Fri Sep 22, 2006 5:03 pm

Can anyone tell me if there is a law in georgia against homeschooling.

say, if the student wants to go to public school but, the parents is agaisnt it.

its there any laws that can allow the student to go to school?

Thanks for the help.

Theodore

Postby Theodore » Fri Sep 22, 2006 6:47 pm

Return to “Homeschool Law”