Legal or not to homeschool other peoples kids?

Find or post information on the legal aspects of homeschooling in your state.

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

o2bmoms
User

Legal or not to homeschool other peoples kids?

Postby o2bmoms » Thu May 21, 2009 8:21 am

I have been homeschooling my two girls, ages 6 and 11, for a few years now and loving it, but we now need another income and I must find work. I decided the only way for me to do this was to put my girls in school and find a job, but, they have only been in school a few weeks and I can not stand it any longer! Upon entering school they tested 2 grade levels above the other students in their class. Although I requested that my 6 year old be placed in K not 1st because it is the end of the year, they stated that she was so advanced on her reading level that she would have to be placed in first grade, possibly even second. I agreed to first grade to she how she would do and they assured me that if the teacher dtermined that she was not able to keep up, she would be moved back to K. So, for the few weeks that my girls have been in school, they have done absolutely no work at all because the FCAT testing ended the week before they started. So, yesterday I get a letter home from my childs teacher stating that she was being retained for the first grade because she is not able to keep up with her fellow students. She went on to say that she sees this kind of thing alot in homeschooled children because they have been a little spoiled by having momma always there to help them so they don't know how to work on their own. I do not want a retention on my childs record, she was not supposed to be in first grade, she was only five when school started this year, but she says they have no control over it once the papers have been submitted. ..........Anyway, sorry, I'm still very angry........ My husband actually had the idea of homeschooling our kids and maybe offering to act as a monitor for other people's kids for a reasonable fee in order to be able to do earn an income and homeschool my girls. I know you can't legally teach someone elses child in Florida but if the parent supplies the curriculum and I just provide a safe place to be during the day while they work on their assignments, that should be ok, right? If so, what would you call that? Babysitting? Thanks, Tracy

4given
User

Postby 4given » Thu May 21, 2009 8:52 am

I can't comment on the HSing other kids issue but I can relate to your anger and frustrations.

When we put our oldest son in 1st grade PS years ago, we were met with similar attitudes. The teacher informed me, after the very first day, that my son did not know ANYTHING they were doing. I assured her he knew it all but was probably uncomfortable with everyone staring at him while she grilled him. "Well, he can't even print," she exclaimed. She was speechless when I informed her that was because he writes in cursive. We'll work on the print, I told her. In the meantime... let him use cursive!

It was the tone she used that was most offensive. And, the school secretary was the same. "Oh, thank God you made the choice NOW. Many parents wait until it's too late, and nothing can catch their kids up!"

I'm steering off topic with this latest comment. Someone observed that my oldest son is shy and added that it is to be expected since he is HSed. (Nevermind that his 3 younger brothers are ALL very out-going! And forget that there are many shy kids in PS... I was one of them.) No it's genetics, you idiot! Sorry :oops: It's just frustrating. It tempts me to stereotype the other direction, although I try to steer clear of those things. "Oh, your child did what? I'm not surprised, since he is Public Schooled!"

Tracy... I know I haven't offered anything helpful. THanks for letting me vent. I understand your feelings.

o2bmoms
User

Postby o2bmoms » Thu May 21, 2009 10:08 am

That's excatly how i feel. I just want to scream sometimes! My oldest is 11 and we were using the Time 4 learning online for 5th grade. When they tested her, the lady came back and asked me to step into her office for privacy then says," I have never seen anything like this! I tested her reading level, and had to stop at 7th grade because that's as high as we go. She even knew some words that I myself don't know. What curriculum have you been using?" So, I explained to her that it was an online source, and, she said....get this now....," Oh, well then she may have a problem here because we actually make the children write." Well, before I could gather my insults in the proper order, my 11 year old says," Actually, I have writing assignments every day and my cursive has really improved this year." This lady actually, word for word, says " well that ain't gonna help ya neither cause we dont do no cursive in the 5th grade." I said excuse me, my child has been writing in cursive since the 3rd grade. And she says, " we are just trying to get them to actually complete their assignments, we ain't worried about pretty handwriting right now." And sure enough, what little work they have done, she has had to do in print because nobody else writes in cursive. My first grader's writing has also went down hill, so i have started making her do some at home to keep up on it. One more great example...my 11 yr old had a history test....she had one out of 20 incorrect...she comes home and says, " Mom, I really think that this is correct, but I didn't want to argue." So, she looked it up and guess what, it was correct. The teacher had to go back and give her credit for it. This same teacher is also her math teacher. One week later, he tells her that she is to do her homework, at school so that parents dont try to " help" kids and cause them to get it wrong. He said, " listen to me, not you mom, I am a teacher, she is not."

4given
User

Postby 4given » Thu May 21, 2009 10:15 am

:x :shock: :roll:

o2bmoms
User

Postby o2bmoms » Thu May 21, 2009 10:31 am

mainly, i just need to find a way to earn an income at home. my husband is really pushing for it, and i understand where he is coming from i just really want to be there for my kids. my youngest also has a form of muscular dystrophy that prevents her from being able to run , but they have to run each day at p.e. I just feel like after everything i have done to raise them as happy well-balanced children, I shouldn't have to hand them over to the public school system and let them tear them back down. My youngest feels terrible about herself now because she is being retained and because she is made fun of at p.e. When i put her in school, she knew she was smart, using hooked on phonics and T4L she was reading on 2nd grade level at age 5 and she never thought much about her physical limitations. Now she knows she is being held back and goes around saying things like " I don't know anything anymore" . They have no music or art program but they sure do p.e. every single day. They take them outside and tell them to run the track till its time to come in. How can I make money and stay home with my girls? Is it legal to offer a monitoring service for others. Anyone have any suggestions? My kids will not go back next year, so, will the retention matter on my daughter school record? will that be a reflection on my homeschooling record or prevent me from continuing to homeschool? Thanks, Tracy

elliemaejune
User

Postby elliemaejune » Thu May 21, 2009 10:11 pm

You're in Florida? If so, I don't see a way around it. The law says that parents/guardians must "direct" the homeschooling, and if the dc are in your home, with you, every day, then the parents really aren't "directing," even if they did choose the teaching materials and whatnot.

Is there any way you could find an evening job? Then your dh could be home with the dc, and you could hs.
Married to Mr. Ellie for over 40 years
Mother to 2 dds and 2 dsil
Grandmother to 1 sweet boy
Servant of 1 kitteh

ncmom
User

Postby ncmom » Fri May 22, 2009 9:05 am

I went and read the stuff on HSLDA's site for FL (they don't have the complete law there though just a summary of it) and if I were in your shoes I would start asking around and see if someone is interested in you homeschooling their child first.

From what I read your laws never say that it can't be directed by another parent. I actually have family in FL and they know families that are doing exactly what you are trying to do. They just don't tell the state...kind of a "don't ask don't tell" thing.

I would read your laws carefully and unless it specifically says you can't homeshool another families children I would go for it.

I used to do babysitting and while babysitting I worked with the prek child "schooling" her. So I would definitely look into that option too. Do you sew? Maybe you could do alterations. What about some tutoring for grade schoolers? I have done that too.

Good Luck!

isamama
User

Postby isamama » Wed Jun 10, 2009 6:17 pm

I not only use all the brains I have, but all I can borrow. - Woodrow Wilson.

MelissaM
User

Postby MelissaM » Mon Jun 15, 2009 5:33 am

Getting Started in Homeschooling is easy at www.YourHomeschoolCommunity.com

momo3boys
User

Postby momo3boys » Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:03 am

Phi 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.

1to1tutor
User

Postby 1to1tutor » Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:01 am

sartasd
User

Postby sartasd » Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:14 pm

in Florida you can homeschool under the private school option, a group of parents can form a private school. You could also do this, form a private school and register the private school with the DOE of FL.

I am registered with Florida Unschoolers [FU] that is in Martin County in FL and is a statewide private school.

May families registered with FU get together for various educational and social events.

My husband and I have thought about starting a private school in town because the options are so few where we live. either catholic schools, or a christian school that is not really doing a good job with teaching those there.

We also talked about me working but after looking at the cost of gas, my clothing for work and so on, it wouldn't be worth the expense and after pay I wouldn't make much. I might babysit or open a daycare for part-time workers. Not sure yet, just find it best to keep my kids home. PS is not a good fit for my kids.
Sharon

elliemaejune
User

Postby elliemaejune » Sat Aug 25, 2012 6:56 pm

Married to Mr. Ellie for over 40 years
Mother to 2 dds and 2 dsil
Grandmother to 1 sweet boy
Servant of 1 kitteh

Return to “Homeschool Law”