NC judge orders religious homeschoolers into public school:

Find or post information on the legal aspects of homeschooling in your state.

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

Theodore

NC judge orders religious homeschoolers into public school:

Postby Theodore » Sat Mar 14, 2009 5:26 pm

"Wake judge orders home schoolers into public classrooms"
http://www.wral.com/news/local/story/4727161/

The children were two grades ahead, even - he ordered them into public school because he didn't agree with the worldview they were being taught:

Thomas Mills also said he was "concerned about the children's religious-based science curriculum" and that he wants "the children to be exposed to mainstream science, even if they eventually choose to believe creationism over evolution." (emphasis mine)

Last I checked, very few public schools allow creationism or intelligent design to even be mentioned, and teachers who promote the "wrong" viewpoint are often hounded out of their jobs. While I personally think children should be introduced to both theories and the science (or lack thereof) behind them, nobody should be barred from homeschooling just because they teach from the Bible. The state has no right to tell you what to believe, and it's the height of hypocrisy anyway.

ncmom
User

Postby ncmom » Sat Mar 14, 2009 8:52 pm

This is sad.

The thing they mention at the end about March 24th is something that is set up for homeschoolers every other year. We get to have a meet and greet with our legislators. We also can set up private appointments speak with them. That is in the afternoon though, in the morning there are two sessions with speakers. I think both judges this year. We are going with several other families. It is offered through NCHE...www.nche.com. My kids are already getting questions ready to ask and boy some of them are humdingers.

Return to “Homeschool Law”