Need immediate answer in PA!!

Find or post information on the legal aspects of homeschooling in your state.

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

katierose914
User

Need immediate answer in PA!!

Postby katierose914 » Tue Feb 23, 2016 10:27 pm

Hi everyone!
I am in Pennsylvania.
I am planning on starting to homeschool...tomorrow. I have twin boys in public Kindergarten. I actually started working at their school 2 months ago and am so disgusted by the unrealistic expectations of the students/non-stop testing that I would like to not only quit, but also withdraw my boys and homeschool them. Also, academically they are testing in the "well above average/should receive individual instruction" section, and are not receiving any help to grow further since their teacher "is not a 1st grade teacher". They are on the young side, and emotionally can have a hard time at school from time to time.

But I am concerned now because I thought that since Kindergarten was not mandatory that I would have no problem withdrawing them to homeschool. Now after doing more research I cam across the Kerstetter court case and I am now worried I would get in legal trouble if I do not do the legal thing. Do I need to file an affidavit for K withdrawal? If so, how do I do this? I am worried that since I am also quitting my position at the same school, they will have it out for me more than just anyone and try to penalize me if it's not done perfect.

Thank you so so so much for any help. I am trying to e-mail the principal tonight to notify the withdrawal.

elliemaejune
User

Postby elliemaejune » Fri Feb 26, 2016 11:46 pm

This is not legal advice. :-)

Kindergarten is not mandatory in PA.

I do not see anything in the homeschool law that would require you to do anything at this point. Notifying the school principal is wise.
Married to Mr. Ellie for over 40 years
Mother to 2 dds and 2 dsil
Grandmother to 1 sweet boy
Servant of 1 kitteh

Return to “Homeschool Law”