Anyone here from Florida?

Find or post information on the legal aspects of homeschooling in your state.

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

ptcbass
User

Anyone here from Florida?

Postby ptcbass » Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:57 am

I am currently homeschooling my 9th grade son in Georgia but we might move to Florida and I am trying to figure out the differences and Florida requirements.

In Georgia we send in a Intent to homeschool and have to test once every three years. We don't have to send anything other than our intent and attendance to the state (this is done online). We have to do at least 180 days at 4.5 hours per day. We are to keep a report of how the child did during the year for our own records (not turned into anyone). Also the Georgia education site says students must pass a test in order to complete graduation but homeschoolers don't actually have to do this. I noticed the Florida education site says students must take certain test but I don't know if that applies to homeschoolers.

Is there anything I need to know about Florida? I have looked up the requirements on HSLDA but it is good to hear it from other parents and not in legal terms.

Also, what scholarship opportunities are there in Florida?

Thanks for any help!!

elliemaejune
User

Re: Anyone here from Florida?

Postby elliemaejune » Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:31 pm

On the contrary, it's important to read the legal terms because so many parents get it wrong. :-)
Married to Mr. Ellie for over 40 years
Mother to 2 dds and 2 dsil
Grandmother to 1 sweet boy
Servant of 1 kitteh

ptcbass
User

Postby ptcbass » Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:29 am

Thanks! I do and will read the legal terms but sometimes there are things that aren't really said in the legal terms that an experienced homeschool mom might know. Ex. GA education requirement page says you must complete a test at the end of 12th grade and pass it in order to graduate. BUT homeschoolers are exempt and it doesn't say that. I have learned that there are always important pieces of the puzzle that are missing when it comes to just trying to learn via the internet sites.

Thanks again. :D

AngelaBreckenridge
User

Postby AngelaBreckenridge » Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:23 pm

For sure even home schooling, there's still guidelines and rules. Ask the officer in Admission-service.com to avoid wrong move.

davidharper
User

Postby davidharper » Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:08 pm

Well really I do not think home schooling is bad. I prefer it, if you do it in right way.

rhianna
User

Postby rhianna » Fri Apr 17, 2015 11:01 pm

Return to “Homeschool Law”