Title I, Title IIA, Title III, etc. (Help!)

Find or post information on the legal aspects of homeschooling in your state.

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

leelee1972
User

Title I, Title IIA, Title III, etc. (Help!)

Postby leelee1972 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:12 am

Hi all,

This is our first year homeschooling, and my kids and I love it! I have not heard from our school district (Johnson County in KY) since I verified that they received my letter of intent back in August -- until now.

They have sent me a four page letter including forms they want me to fill out regarding my eligibility and participation in federal aid or guidance of some sort. They are called Title I, Title IIA, Title III and IDEA-B.

I am severely allergic to filling out/signing anything that involves any branch of government (especially federal), and I certainly do not want any "aid" or "guidance" from them.

Does anyone know if I am required by law to fill out and return these forms to my school district? Will there likely be some kind of intrusion or follow-up if I don't?

Thanks so much --

LeeLee

Theodore

Postby Theodore » Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:10 pm

You have to keep an attendance record and scholarship reports (I assume by that they mean grades), and you can be inspected by the Department of Education. Or be part of a nonprofit church school. But those forms you are mentioning sound like they're for special needs aid. Are your children special needs? If not, or if you are not seeking aid, you probably don't need to fill anything out. I'm sure they have phone numbers you can call for clarification on why you received the forms.

Return to “Homeschool Law”