advice for withdrawing from school in Missouri

Find or post information on the legal aspects of homeschooling in your state.

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

sivasvati
User

advice for withdrawing from school in Missouri

Postby sivasvati » Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:18 pm

My daughters are enrolled in school for this year but we have decided to homeschool them. The school year starts very soon and i'm not sure how to withdraw them from school. I've looked up the laws which say that i may notify the school district but I've also read that it is not good to notify them that we are homeschooling. I feel that we should notify the school to prevent any truancy allegations. Do I write a letter stating that we are withdrawing them from the school district and request their school records? Is there anything else that we need to say? Any advice would be very helpful. Also if we write a letter is it to the principal and/or the superintendent. They were in two different buildings so it would be two principals. Thanks.

elliemaejune
User

Re: advice for withdrawing from school in Missouri

Postby elliemaejune » Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:54 pm

Homeschool laws rarely address the process of withdrawing children from previously attended schools. :-)

It would seem to me to be better to send your letter to their school, not to the superintendent; you're withdrawing them from the school, not from the district.. And yes, you should request their records. You may or may not get them, even though they belong to you, but you should at least ask for them. Also, many people recommend that you send your letter registered, with a return-receipt request. That way you have proof that *someone* in the office received the letter.
Married to Mr. Ellie for over 40 years
Mother to 2 dds and 2 dsil
Grandmother to 1 sweet boy
Servant of 1 kitteh

sivasvati
User

Postby sivasvati » Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:07 pm

I called the school today to inform them I was withdrawing my children and they said I had to fill out a form. I asked if I could mail them a letter and they repeated that I had to come in and fill out a form. Any advice?

elliemaejune
User

Postby elliemaejune » Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:07 pm

Married to Mr. Ellie for over 40 years
Mother to 2 dds and 2 dsil
Grandmother to 1 sweet boy
Servant of 1 kitteh

sivasvati
User

Postby sivasvati » Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:42 pm

elliemaejune
User