Homeschool Law and Curriculum in Virginia

Find or post information on the legal aspects of homeschooling in your state.

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

autumn01
User

Homeschool Law and Curriculum in Virginia

Postby autumn01 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:00 pm

Hello Everyone,

We are a Montessori homeschooling family in Virginia. We are currently homeschooling our preschoolers, who will start Kindergarten in the Fall of this year, 2012.I am doing everything I can to be able to continue teaching from the Montessori method, but am nervous and unsure about what exactly Virginia requires for Homeschool families curriculum wise. I was just reading over the Homeschool law in Virginia on this thread but still have a few concerns/questions. I have a high school degree, and am a few classes away from a two year Early Childhood Degree. I also have an extensive work history with children. I have found a few informal Montessor curriculums online, mostly written by homeschooling families, that I could use as guides along with guides about what your Kindergartner should know. I also have several Montessori Guide books as well as Early Childhood text books. Is all this sufficient material to show we are following a curriculum? Is only having a high school degree enough for me to not have to follow a boxed curriculum?
autumn01

Visit: The Little Professors
http://thelittleprofessors.blogspot.com/

elliemaejune
User

Re: Homeschool Law and Curriculum in Virginia

Postby elliemaejune » Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:07 pm

Since you are working on a degree in education, you should understand that the word "curriculum" does not mean "that stack of books there." Also, the law doesn't say you have to "follow a curriculum." :-)

IOW, you do not provide the titles or the publishers of the instructional materials you are using. The law says, "Parents must submit a 'description of curriculum,' which is a list of the subjects they intend to teach. Families are not required to describe the content of the individual courses." You list the subjects you intend to teach: reading, grammar, composition, spelling, early American history, life science, etc.

The law says one of the options is that you have a high school diploma. The end. :-)

Here's HSLDA's legal analysis of Virginia law.
Married to Mr. Ellie for over 40 years
Mother to 2 dds and 2 dsil
Grandmother to 1 sweet boy
Servant of 1 kitteh

autumn01
User

Postby autumn01 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:25 pm

Thank you for the link and your response. I am confused about item 6. What things would make your 'curriculum' not be approved? Interesting.
autumn01

elliemaejune
User

Postby elliemaejune » Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:06 pm

Well, the law doesn't say that your curriculum must be approved (#3).

Read #4 carefully. :-)
Servant of 1 kitteh

autumn01
User

Postby autumn01 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:16 pm

Thank you. I did re-read that, and I had misunderstood. Looks like we're good to go :D
autumn01

elliemaejune
User

Postby elliemaejune » Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:23 pm

Hooray!!! :D
Servant of 1 kitteh

Return to “Homeschool Law”