Texas Law, establishing a private school?

Find or post information on the legal aspects of homeschooling in your state.

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

gellegbs
User

Texas Law, establishing a private school?

Postby gellegbs » Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:38 pm

When I take my two ds out of public school, by the law i have to register as a private school. How do you do that?

Lily
User

Postby Lily » Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:10 pm

No, you don't have to register as a private school. All you sort-of have to do is inform the school district, and even that's not really required.

According to state law:

1. Legislature given authority over public free school system only
2. Texas Education Code specifically designed for and applicable o state tax funded educational institutions only
3. No minimum number of days taught per year.
4. No testing requirements.
5. No formal filing required, though recommended you tell the school's office you are withdrawing your child.
You are not required to file any papers or notify anyone that you are homeschooling your children in Texas. If they are already enrolled in a public school, you can tell the school's office that the child is going to be homeschooled or is going to be attending a private school. In Texas, a homeschool is a private school. Some districts may want to give you a hard time, but you have every legal right to homeschool without their blessings.

We were there for a while and it was the easiest thing possible.
"The greatest sign of success for a teacher... is to be able to say, "The children are now working as if I did not exist."
- M. Montessori
Proud non-member of the HSLDA

gellegbs
User

Postby gellegbs » Mon Jan 21, 2008 7:54 pm

Return to “Homeschool Law”