Accountability Within Homeschooling

Find or post information on the legal aspects of homeschooling in your state.

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

janw1256
User

Accountability Within Homeschooling

Postby janw1256 » Sat Sep 01, 2007 11:12 am

I was wondering if anyone thinks that homeschoolers should have more accountability? Probably not from the government, but from another source? I mean we need the government, otherwise this country would go wild. The Bible talks about accountability many times. Is there anyone who homeschools that practices accountability to someone outside of their family?

Jan

Calleigh
User

Postby Calleigh » Sat Sep 01, 2007 4:33 pm

Hi Jan,

I guess that depends on what you mean by "accountability." Most people are held accountable to notify the school district and to follow up in one way or another (testing, etc). Some states require more than others, but most states do require something.

If by "accountablility" you mean that the parents should be forced to use curriculum that the government chooses and teach a world view that the government decides is important and worthy, then absolutely not. There is no one on the face of this earth who cares more about what happens to my children than I do, and there is no one who wants them to "succeed" more than I do. I know without a doubt that what is best for them is my ultimate concern and priority. Can one say that is true with the government? No.

Our children are a gift from God and He has given us the weighty responsibility to raise them in the way that we know He wants us to. So my accountability is to God; which is why I am homeschooling in the first place. :) I have to trust that He will lead us in the way we should go. Many of the views that are taught in public schools are in direct opposition of what I know God desires from us.

So there is a fine line between what one would term accountability and another would see as government trying to control. I think we have a decent balance in the US. I certainly don't think we need more than what we already have.

Calleigh

seekingmyLord
User

Re: Accountability Within Homeschooling

Postby seekingmyLord » Sat Sep 01, 2007 7:12 pm

elliemaejune
User

Re: Accountability Within Homeschooling

Postby elliemaejune » Sat Sep 01, 2007 9:04 pm

Dolly-VA
User

Postby Dolly-VA » Sat Sep 01, 2007 11:05 pm

seekingmyLord
User

Postby seekingmyLord » Sun Sep 02, 2007 2:06 pm

ncmom
User

Postby ncmom » Sun Sep 02, 2007 3:00 pm

I don't think that the state or federal government needs anymore control over me and my children than they already have. In fact, the little I have to do to homeschool my children, in my opinion is to much! Today there is to much "accountability" put on parents. Everyone expects us to be perfect, this is especially true of people without kids who are looking in, the government, and the extremely wealthy who probably don't even remember their kids birthdays unless it is on their todo list that day, oh and of course the all important Hollywood. No parent is perfect and to want to have more accountability for them is crazy, especially if it is education related! The ONLY people I am accountable to is myself, my husband, and God. Everyone else can find a way of dealing with it if they don't like the way I raise and educate my children.
Education has become an industry anyway. Starting in Kdg all the way through college. How many people do you know that really need a degree in waste disposal to pick up trash? I don't have one and I am pretty sure I could ride on the back of a truck and throw garbage in it. As long as my kids have basic knowledge and can read, write and do math they are good. They don't need to know what all the parts in the eye are called to be anything except an eye doctor and they would learn that in medical school.
As far as illiteracy, it is sad, but there are going to be illiterate people even if everyone went to PS. They pass kids through now no matter what because it might hurt their self esteem if they held them back. Hence, no child left behind act. Kids can't fail anymore. And YES it is a parents choice if they send a child to school or not! Even if it means that child won't be able to read and write. Not the governments choice and not some other parents choice. Furthermore, how many of these people in these stats are under 7 or severally retarded or even blind? Stats only tell you what you want to read into them or what the government wants you to get out of them.
For those who can't speak English, that is a real problem in the schools. They are not required to learn English with the other kids either (at least they aren't in the local schools here). They let them sit in the back of the class and do stuff in Spanish or send them to a class that has a bilingual teacher who teaches in their native language. The other problem you find with these people learning English is that the government does not regulate them the same way the regulate us so if they want to homeschool they can and they don't have to follow the same rules as us. So tell me again why I should have more regulations?

my3boyshomeschool
User

Postby my3boyshomeschool » Sun Sep 02, 2007 4:26 pm

www.homeschoolblogger.com/my3boyshomeschool
www.thehomeschoolershangout.com
Mary, wife of Brett, Mother to Lucas, Bradley and Nolan

ncmom
User

Postby ncmom » Sun Sep 02, 2007 7:03 pm

Dolly-VA
User

Postby Dolly-VA » Sun Sep 02, 2007 7:37 pm

Dolly-VA
User

Postby Dolly-VA » Sun Sep 02, 2007 8:06 pm

seekingmyLord
User

Postby seekingmyLord » Sun Sep 02, 2007 8:18 pm

Last edited by seekingmyLord on Sun Sep 02, 2007 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

seekingmyLord
User

Postby seekingmyLord » Sun Sep 02, 2007 8:34 pm

Dolly-VA
User

Postby Dolly-VA » Sun Sep 02, 2007 9:19 pm

Dolly-VA
User

Postby Dolly-VA » Sun Sep 02, 2007 9:30 pm

Return to “Homeschool Law”