Would you homeschool even if it was illegal?

Find or post information on the legal aspects of homeschooling in your state.

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

ScottHughes
User

Would you homeschool even if it was illegal?

Postby ScottHughes » Mon Aug 27, 2007 6:06 pm

How dedicated are you to homeschooling? Would you homeschool even if it was illegal?

I know some people have very deep moral opposition to the mainstream school system.

If it was illegal to homeschool, I would just move to a place where it is legal.

iamnettie
User

Postby iamnettie » Mon Aug 27, 2007 7:01 pm

Yes I would try to find a place where it is legal. The only way I would stay in a place that was illegal was if the school system was my idea of perfect.

frogguruami
User

Postby frogguruami » Mon Aug 27, 2007 9:42 pm

No, because I would not risk losing my children. But I would be the most hated mother in all the school system.
AM, homeschooling mom to Drake and Kyllian
www.seilerclan.info

Theodore

Postby Theodore » Mon Aug 27, 2007 11:34 pm

I don't think homeschooling was illegal per se when my parents started, but social workers in Missouri had a tendency to call the anonymous child abuse hotline and place fake abuse claims against homeschoolers, so they'd have an excuse to come take their children away. Homeschooling was quite dangerous until more recently.

seekingmyLord
User

Postby seekingmyLord » Tue Aug 28, 2007 5:29 am

Interesting question and people still do that too. Georgia, in particular, is being looked at in how the DaFCS system is operating and there are steps being taken to change the law. In fact, one of the most predominate homeschool advocates, who used to work for attorneys, in the Atlanta area had a terrible ordeal last year with DaFCS with her daughter's family and their grandchildren while they were living in her home. At one point a DaFCS agent came with police and supposedly a warrant although nothing was shown to the people except a folded piece of paper the agent flashed around for a few seconds, because there was no warrant.

I am one of the most rebellious people when it comes to government interference in our personal lives, particularly when it comes down to the difference between the "law" and "color of law." I also have a tendency to enjoy finding legal loop holds and exercising my rights accordingly.

However, now that I have a child... well, I probably have a more compliant attitude than before, but I do no more than I have to do by law. (I believe very strongly that high school aged children should be taught law--not just the basics, but how to research in a real law library with real law books, so they know can spot actions that are actually color of law and really know their rights.)

Back to the question, I believe strongly in homeschooling, but I believe stronger in the Lord, so I would do as He leads us to do at the time.

elliemaejune
User

Postby elliemaejune » Tue Aug 28, 2007 2:47 pm

Yes, I would homeschool even if it was illegal. I'd be first in line to be the test case [*bg*]

Calleigh
User

Postby Calleigh » Tue Aug 28, 2007 4:53 pm

momo3boys
User

Postby momo3boys » Wed Aug 29, 2007 8:17 am

That would be hard to decide. It would have to be a after a lot of prayer. If i had the money i would send my children to a private school if i had to, or a charter school. But I would be the most involved mother in the school. Either I would work there or volunteer ALL day long! :D If I chose to Homeschool, I'm sure there would be quite an underground movement of Homeschoolers to join! :wink:
Phi 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.

Mark

Postby Mark » Thu Aug 30, 2007 10:22 pm

1to1tutor
User

Postby 1to1tutor » Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:33 am

Theodore

Postby Theodore » Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:18 pm

Return to “Homeschool Law”