hardest/easiest states

Find or post information on the legal aspects of homeschooling in your state.

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

dakeeper
User

hardest/easiest states

Postby dakeeper » Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:29 pm

which are the hardest/easiest states to homeschool?
~Angie~
wife to Wayne
Mom to Dylan(6) and Alayna(2)

elliemaejune
User

Let's define what "easiest" and "hardest"

Postby elliemaejune » Sat Mar 03, 2007 7:42 pm

In my mind "easy" means no interaction/accountability with any government official.

New Jersey, Oklahoma (which has homeschooling written into its constitution), Idaho, Illinois, Michigan, Indiana, Connecticut, and Alaska don't require any accountability (other than possibly notifying someone that hsing will be taking place). They have specific laws about hsing (except OK, as noted).

Missouri doesn't have requirements for testing, but people are supposed to keep logs: "Maintain records of subjects taught, activities engaged in, samples of the child's academic work and evaluations or a credible equivalent, and a written log showing the hours required under "attendance." This brings it down a notch IMHO, especially as I've read comments on many discussion boards about counting those hours.

Texas has a court case deciding that homeschoolers are the equivalent of private schools, and private schools are not regulated at all. Woohoo!

California doesn't have a court case or any laws. It does, however, have a very vague private school law, which only requires that private schools file an annual notice that a private school is in existence. This is the option that most hsers take. (Some enroll their dc in private schools which only enroll hsed students, sort of umbrella school.) There is some language about subjects and teacher requirements and whatnot, but since people would have to work really hard *not* to cover the "required" subjects, they're not even worth talking about, lol. I include California with the easy states.

These are the states that top my list of "easy."

The hardest states: New York, Pennsylvania, North Dakota, Rhode Island, and Massachusetts. They all require some combination of testing, lots of record keeping, and approval. Now, there are many hsers in those states, and they manage to deal with it; but I have often thought that if I had lived and hsed in one of those, I'd have been the first test case, lol.

All the other states have varying, middle-of-the-road requirements, some of which make you scratch your head but which are not nearly as invasive and restrictive as the hardest states.

arewethereyet
User

Postby arewethereyet » Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:13 pm

I have homeschooled in Missouri and now in Louisiana. Missouri can be a bookkeeping nightmare, especially if you are as precise as I am. I was keeping track of hours during summer vacations. UGH! We moved to Louisiana where you must notify the state each year you hs. There are two options here. We are doing the private school option where there is no testing, only 180 days per year. This has easied my paperwork tremendously. You can check out www.hslda.org which will give you an overview of state requirements.

dakeeper
User

Postby dakeeper » Sun Mar 04, 2007 6:07 am

~Angie~

wife to Wayne

Mom to Dylan(6) and Alayna(2)

Calla_Dragon
User

Postby Calla_Dragon » Sun Mar 04, 2007 7:56 am

To be idle is a short road to death and to be diligent is a way of life; foolish people are idle, wise people are diligent.

momo3boys
User

Postby momo3boys » Mon Mar 05, 2007 5:58 pm

Phi 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.

4given
User

Indiana Law

Postby 4given » Thu Mar 22, 2007 11:17 am

iamnettie
User

Postby iamnettie » Thu Mar 22, 2007 8:59 pm

groovyhsmama
User

Postby groovyhsmama » Thu Mar 22, 2007 9:58 pm

mdsmomct
User

Postby mdsmomct » Fri Mar 23, 2007 11:28 am

CT is easy. If your child has never been in school you do not have to tell anyone anything. You may "CHOOSE" to file a notice of intent but it is not required. Other than that they leave you alone and they have a bill that should hopefully be passed this summer making it easier to withdraw kids from school.

wrightno
User

Postby wrightno » Fri Mar 23, 2007 2:07 pm

FLORIDA IS I THINK THE EASIEST STATE TO HOMESCHOOL
natasha w.

MelN2LilMen
User

Postby MelN2LilMen » Wed Mar 28, 2007 11:48 am

Mel N 2 Lil Men

Arif
User

Postby Arif » Mon Aug 13, 2007 9:19 am