Homeschool vs Private/Catholic School?

Want to contribute your views on the homeschool vs public school debate, or just looking for information? Post here!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

BigBoned
User

Homeschool vs Private/Catholic School?

Postby BigBoned » Wed Aug 30, 2006 11:22 am

My hobby: eating

Theodore

Re: Homeschool vs Private/Catholic School?

Postby Theodore » Thu Aug 31, 2006 1:12 pm

Homeschools do better than private schools, but the margin isn't nearly as big as between homeschools and public schools, especially in the area of math. The statistics here aren't broken down by verbal and math, but I remember that from back when we were taking regular standardized tests and got our results back with comparisons in each category to other homeschools and public and private schools. I have no idea how homeschools and Catholic schools compare, but I would assume that Catholic schools are usually the best of the private schools, so the difference could be pretty small after you get through the first few grades (the amount of time spent one-on-one makes a big difference for the foundational years). Whichever way you go, you'll probably be homeschooling for at least the part of the year after you move, so you'll want to get your hands on copies of all the materials for the current grade so your children have continuity.

Return to “Homeschool vs Public School”