Charter school or homeschool?

Want to contribute your views on the homeschool vs public school debate, or just looking for information? Post here!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

hadaville
User

Charter school or homeschool?

Postby hadaville » Sat Jun 24, 2006 11:52 pm

Theodore

To charter school or not to charter school...

Postby Theodore » Sun Jun 25, 2006 11:02 am

GraceRules
User

Postby GraceRules » Sun Jul 09, 2006 11:36 pm

This issue has been a cause of concern for some since the homeschooling movement had to fight to get where they are today. Charter schools offer freebies to entice homeschooling families to enroll. Many will offer free curriculum, free computers and/or other materials. In exchange, the school district receives funding for the child enrolled in the charter school and the parents relinquish some of their decision-making abilities. Here's an article from HSLDA that captures the whole debate much better than I can articulate.

http://www.hslda.org/docs/nche/000010/200206260.asp

The Problem with Home-based Charter Schools
HSLDA's Position in the Charter School Debate

Charter schools are a new phenomenon rapidly gaining popularity across the country. All charter schools are created or "chartered" by public school boards, which establish a mission, educational program, and methods of assessment. Most charter schools are classroom based. However, some charter schools are home based. When parents enroll their child in a full-time, classroom-based charter school, it is obvious that they are signing away much of their parental right to direct their child's education. Home-based charter schools gloss over this surrender by giving parents a wide variety of "free" benefits, all for use at home: computer and Internet access, books, school supplies, support from certified teachers, and a diploma, etc.

(Admin Note: Further material removed to at least partially retain HSLDA's copyright, see link for full article)

hbmom36
User

Re: To charter school or not to charter school...

Postby hbmom36 » Mon Jul 10, 2006 9:06 am

Theodore

Postby Theodore » Mon Jul 10, 2006 12:28 pm

Hmm, so some charter schools basically just give you money and then test every now and then to make sure your children learned something? That sounds remarkably similar to homeschooling (in the more restrictive states), except in this case you're being given money to homeschool. A rather creative way for schools to get generate funding (funding varies according to the number of students enrolled) from people who wouldn't otherwise be interested.

Or to put it another way, the schools get x amount of money for every student, so they give you some fraction of x in return for being allowed to list you as enrolled. So long as they don't dictate what sorts of curriculum you can use (what sort of guidelines do they give for what you can and can't spend the money on?), and tests are infrequent, I don't really see a problem. Though from the taxpayer point of view, schools shouldn't be getting funding for doing basically nothing. If all they're doing is testing, then their funding should be at most a few hundred dollars per student (even counting special needs).

Here's an interesting link on district / charter school funding for various states:
http://www.edexcellence.net/institute/charterfinance/

California, for instance, gets an average of $4,834.97 per charter school student per year. How much of that money are they redistributing to you, and what services are they providing?

hbmom36
User

Postby hbmom36 » Tue Jul 11, 2006 8:27 am

momo3boys
User

Postby momo3boys » Tue Jul 11, 2006 12:31 pm

Phi 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.

hbmom36
User

Postby hbmom36 » Tue Jul 11, 2006 4:11 pm

Theodore

Postby Theodore » Tue Jul 11, 2006 5:45 pm

hbmom36
User

Postby hbmom36 » Wed Jul 12, 2006 7:46 am

Amybass
User

Postby Amybass » Fri May 11, 2007 7:02 pm

I started with connections academy for this school year and I felt like a slave to their system. They wanted me to send in paperwork for everything! Plus I didn't like to have to follow their curriculum and not have the freedom to teach what I wanted. Thankfully I got out of that one real quick. I hated them breathing down my neck.

Yessenia
User

Home Based Charter School in OREGON

Postby Yessenia » Thu Apr 30, 2015 2:58 pm

Mikidalenish

elliemaejune
User

Re: Home Based Charter School in OREGON

Postby elliemaejune » Fri Nov 27, 2015 10:31 pm

Married to Mr. Ellie for over 40 years
Mother to 2 dds and 2 dsil
Grandmother to 1 sweet boy