Homeschooling for single parents

Want to contribute your views on the homeschool vs public school debate, or just looking for information? Post here!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

makitam
User

Homeschooling for single parents

Postby makitam » Sun Jun 11, 2006 4:46 pm

How does everyone feel/What does everyone think about the pros and cons of a work-at-home single parent home or unschooling? Do you know folks who've done it?
Adrienne

lydiavj
User

Postby lydiavj » Thu Feb 08, 2007 1:34 pm

Hi,

I am a single, work at home, home schooling mom.

I've been homeschooling my little girl since kindergarden.

I've been single for the past two years and it can get challenging at times.

Many days the chores around the house do not get done and my house looks like a junk yard.

What has been working for me lately is this:

I give my daugher independent seat work and she does really well with it ex . writing, script, math, grammar stuff etc...

While she's doing that, I do laundry, dishes, clean up the living room a bit, work on my online business a bit etc...

I find that as a single parent, it helps a lot if you buy a lot of organizers to keep every thing in. I recently went to IKEA and purchased some shelving for my stuff, I made sure they had doors on them so that it keeps things looking clean.

This has helped to keep the house looking cleaner.

So this is what my schedule looks like daily:

Most days:

Wake up around 8am.
Have breakfast, I check my emails and answer a few (business stuff).

around 9 or 9:30am:

Homeschooling. I usually do no more than 3 subjects. I tend to do school for about 2 hours sometimes 3, but for the most part 2 hours.

She doesn't seem to need more at this time, she's only 7 and in second grade. It's been working perfectly and she seems to retain more.

around 12pm: lunch and then we go to the gym.

I'm there for 2 hours.

3pm - we do some errands, I clean up a bit more, I may take the kids out or do some type of play date.

5pm - Free time. Kids watch some TV (they do some tv in between too ),

I do some more work with my business.

6pm I start cooking and 7pm we're having dinner.

I then give the kids a bath and by 8pmt they're in bed.

From 8:30 - 12am or 1am, I am up working on my business.

It can get stressful sometimes, but my business is really fun. I'm in the gourmet candle business and I love it.

I just do a lot of marketing on the internet and answer emails and phone calls so it's really not like a regular job.

How do you do it? Are you homeschooling now?

Lilly
Who Says Stay At Home Moms Can't Have It All?

Be a WAHM like me!
Visit: www.netmomof2.com

Return to “Homeschool vs Public School”