Schools of the ridiculous:

Want to contribute your views on the homeschool vs public school debate, or just looking for information? Post here!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

dragonfly183
User

Postby dragonfly183 » Wed Dec 13, 2006 8:32 pm

Theodore

Postby Theodore » Fri Feb 02, 2007 3:54 pm

Texas Requires Cancer Vaccine for Girls
This will improve things big time - assume that girls are going to catch STDs and vaccinate them against it at age 11 or 12, rather than advocating abstinence. I hate to say it, but this sounds like government graft, and in Texas of all states!

Redhead
User

Postby Redhead » Fri Feb 02, 2007 4:23 pm

Redhead
"Education without values, as useful as it is, seems rather to make man a more clever devil." C.S. Lewis

Calla_Dragon
User

Postby Calla_Dragon » Fri Feb 02, 2007 5:38 pm

To be idle is a short road to death and to be diligent is a way of life; foolish people are idle, wise people are diligent.

Theodore

Postby Theodore » Fri Feb 02, 2007 5:56 pm

Mark

Postby Mark » Fri Feb 02, 2007 8:10 pm

Redhead
User

Postby Redhead » Sat Feb 03, 2007 2:12 pm

Redhead

"Education without values, as useful as it is, seems rather to make man a more clever devil." C.S. Lewis

Calla_Dragon
User

Postby Calla_Dragon » Sat Feb 03, 2007 3:28 pm

To be idle is a short road to death and to be diligent is a way of life; foolish people are idle, wise people are diligent.

Theodore

Postby Theodore » Sat Mar 03, 2007 6:07 am

Report Recommends Discipline Czar For Chaotic Philly Schools
The 47-page independent consulting report by Ellen Green-Ceisler said some frustrated school personnel have given up carrying out discipline.

The report said in some classrooms "little or no learning was actually occurring" and "many of the students in attendance were listening to headphones, sleeping, doodling or wandering around the room talking or shouting."

minniemouse24
User

Postby minniemouse24 » Mon Mar 19, 2007 9:24 pm

peace.love.happiness

Martha
User

Postby Martha » Tue Mar 20, 2007 3:39 pm

having the vaccine REQUIRED is where I disagree...if a parent or child think that it is necessary, then fine..their choice...but to require it...Just like for Kindergarten, you HAVE to have the chicken pox vaccine...it's a good thing mine wont be going to Kingergarten...I oppose that one too.

Anyway...and then on the list of supplies...Government keeps raising taxes for schools and such but it still doens't give them more class room expenses...so they've made their lists and expect parents to bring the stuff. What abotu parents that barely make it as it is. ugh...when I was in elementry...the only thing that we had to have were OUR own supplies and a box of kleenex. LOL.

I read the school lists for this year...they were not only saying markers and such but they were specific with brand names. Only white glue...only this, only that....part of the fun of the school year starting is picking out what cool school supplies you were going to get. I know it's cause they are putting the supplies into "buckets" so the kids wont have to have a crayon box to keep track of. Apparently it's too much responsibility now! :roll: ...ugh...off my soap box now! :lol:
Martha

Gypsy'sMom
User

School supplies

Postby Gypsy'sMom » Wed Apr 11, 2007 1:05 pm

Here is a few new school supplies that had me scratching my head. My daughter's first year of school was last year. (Pre-K) I was so excited just thinking about sending her off to school to learn and be with kids her own age. What I read on the school supply list had me falling out of my chair!
Things like pencils, markers, folders...I didn't mind those. It was the part where each child HAS to bring light bulbs...and not just the small round one's that everyone uses in their homes, NO they want you to buy the long thin light bulbs, also things like printer ink cartridges (specific brand ofcourse), cleaning supplies, etc. My husband pays over $300.00 in taxes a week! Where is that going if I am having to provide what the school should buy themselves? :?
Bri

Calla_Dragon
User

Postby Calla_Dragon » Wed Apr 11, 2007 2:07 pm

Here's my question, what exactly do they do if you don't send stuff that is obviously not for your child? Do they not allow your child in class until those items are brought? What's to stop a parent from going down the list: check, check, um, don't think so, check, check, not a chance?

Theodore

Postby Theodore » Wed Apr 11, 2007 2:11 pm

They probably don't let your kid participate in activities that require those materials, since the school doesn't want to supply them and you didn't bring your own. It's just stupid, considering how much the public school system gets per child vs how much a good private school charges.

mdsmomct
User

Ham sandwich hate crime

Postby mdsmomct » Tue Apr 24, 2007 12:22 pm

This cracked me up on Fox news this a.m.- they don't have it on their site but I found this thread on the subject:

http://www.americaoutloud.org/forum/sho ... php?t=1383

Return to “Homeschool vs Public School”