Schools of the ridiculous:

Want to contribute your views on the homeschool vs public school debate, or just looking for information? Post here!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

Theodore

Schools of the ridiculous:

Postby Theodore » Fri Jun 09, 2006 4:21 pm

I often read news stories about schools with ridiculous policies, so why not start a thread for them? Here's one to start with:

Play hookey half the school year (and get 80% on the other half), but still pass! (Edit: Story no longer displayed)
Last edited by Theodore on Sat Nov 11, 2006 3:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

momo3boys
User

Postby momo3boys » Sun Jun 11, 2006 4:27 pm

I was just talking to a parent that had her son's first three quarters of F's wiped out and told that if he passed that last quarter that he would pass the year!
Phi 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.

MeganWiles
User

Postby MeganWiles » Sun Jun 11, 2006 10:41 pm

That is just sad! :cry:

On the other hand, one wonders who these parents are who are okay with their kids skipping half of the school year and passing with a "D".

Theodore

Watch out for that chauvinistic, hegemonic grammar!

Postby Theodore » Sat Jul 22, 2006 6:22 pm

Academics KO Grammar Again
Gotta watch out for that chauvinistic, hegemonic grammar! But I guess we should expect this point of view from a system that promotes "whole language" instead of phonics.

bobbinsx5
User

Postby bobbinsx5 » Sun Jul 23, 2006 4:01 pm

I picked up a supply list for middle school in the public school here just to see what was on it. I was amuzed at a lot of it, it just sounded silly. But I got a kick out of the "communication arts" title for the language arts class.

Theodore

Postby Theodore » Wed Aug 09, 2006 4:44 pm

Protect children's self-esteeem in sports by not keeping score! (Edit: Story no longer displayed)
Of course, with no competition or standards, kids have no motivation to work hard, so the best possible outcome is that they feel good about being totally untrained. Then they hit the business world and lose that carefully-protected self-esteem in about 30 seconds.

When everyone is a winner, nobody wins.
Last edited by Theodore on Sat Nov 11, 2006 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AnnetteR
User

Postby AnnetteR » Thu Aug 10, 2006 3:06 pm

One of my biggest beefs with the public school system is the outrageous list of supplies they request every year. I've always wondered why they feel a kindergartener or first grader needs pencils, color pencils, fat markers, skinny markers, dry erase markers, crayons, etc.

According to a pamphlet I downloaded from one of the local schools these items are needed to develop writing skills. I think it's an abuse. Now that parents bear the burden of buying all the school supplies (including paper plates, cups, napkins, and utensils) they think there is no limit to what they can claim as necessary.

How long will it before students are required to bring cellphones, personal organizers, and laptops to further develop their writing skills?

JenniferSylvie
User

Postby JenniferSylvie » Sun Aug 20, 2006 5:42 pm

What got me about the school supply list "required" at our public schools, was the demand in BOLD CAPITOL letters to NOT put your childs name on any of the supplies!?!?!? Why not??? If I was sending my child to public school and had to buy these supplies I'd want to make sure my child used them. I have no problem donating school supplies to those in need, but I expect my child would have the use of the supplies I bought for them, without having to dispute ownership.
Jennifer

BigBoned
User

Postby BigBoned » Wed Aug 30, 2006 11:40 am

My hobby: eating

Theodore

Postby Theodore » Sun Oct 01, 2006 3:07 pm

Looks like the Detroit school system is going down the tubes:

- Closures drive away 1,500 pupils (Edit: Story no longer displayed)
- Detroit Public Schools attendance records show 25,000 fewer students than expected
- Audit: DPS lost 11,600 kids in '05 (Edit: Story no longer displayed)

This is undoubtedly a plus for homeschooling, but I wouldn't wish the situation on anyone. What a mess.
Last edited by Theodore on Sat Nov 11, 2006 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Theodore

Kiss tag and other recess games goodbye, they're dangerous!

Postby Theodore » Tue Oct 17, 2006 9:32 pm

Attleboro School Bans Tag, Other Recess Games
You can't win. Either you're getting knifed and shot, or you're locked in a padded room so you won't hurt yourself. Schools really need to find a proper balance between the two extremes. In this case, I largely blame lawyers and our ridiculous legal system, which allow anyone to sue for any reason, at no risk to themselves, but it doesn't really matter who's to blame - the problem is there.

dkatiemom
User

Postby dkatiemom » Sat Nov 11, 2006 11:34 am

Yes, the school supply lists sometimes seem padded to me, too.

I have also been bothered by:

Letters sent home in my child's folder saying, "We have run out of paper towels, please send more."

or:

"We need more lined paper."

"We need more dixie cups."

"More construction paper, please."

I am waiting for the day when I see, "We are out of coffee filters."

or:

"Please send (insert brand name and flavor) liquid creamer."

"Please send $5.00 for the teacher's bonus fund."

I mean, really. Some of those things, like paper towels...Shouldn't they be provided or replaced by the school? It seems a bit like, whenever possible, normal operating expenses are being passed down to the parents.

Another awful imposition is that we are sent letters at the beginning of the year stating that we have to send in "X" amount of dollars for the PTA holiday parties. Instead of my being able to make an awesome batch of sprinkled cupcakes, or even send streamers, etc., I am now REQUIRED to send checks to the PTA for the specified amount or *MY* child will be singled out and have to sit at his desk while the rest of the class has a great time having a (insert holiday here) party. Seeing that I have 3 children, it is blackmail times three, and it really takes a bite out of our thin bank account.

Also, we get another letter telling us how much money to send in order for the school to put together luxury gift baskets for each teacher during teacher appreciation week. I can't remember if it was $10.00 or $15.00 per student. Multiply this times 20, and you see where I'm going with this...Spa day coupons, restaurant gift certificates, gourmet chocolates, etc. They ALSO send a sheet home which has categories like favorite food, favorite clothing store, dream item, etc. The teacher FILLS IT OUT and it is sent home in preparation for teacher appreciation week, where each day of that week your child is expected to bring an item for their teacher off of that sheet.

It gets worse. My autistic son has 1 teacher, 2 aides, 1 speech therapist, and 1 physical therapist. Guess how many sheets got sent home?

My 7 year-old has 1 teacher, 1 resource room teacher, and 1 speech therapist.

Each one had their hand out, and it begins to get obvious that you aren't bringing something when, say, the resource room teacher only has a limited number of students she works with (obviously, the parents put to/from labels on each gift to make sure the teacher knows their child complied).

GEEZ! Whatever happened to a shiny apple or a sweet single flower? Isn't it the thought that counts? Shouldn't THAT be the lesson for our children?

The painful lesson, instead, was for me to realize that if I didn't comply (and with gusto!), the one it would affect would be my child. Who wants their child to be "that one", the one who *gasp* didn't bring the gifts, who must not care, who has bad manners and neglectful parents who don't "play by the rules".

As a parent, you begin to realize pretty quickly that your lack of compliance will directly affect not only how your teacher favors your child, but how they will feel being left out of the loop.

Theodore

Postby Theodore » Sun Nov 19, 2006 10:54 pm

Florida: School Dance Turns Teen Away
What makes this news is that the teen was homeschooled. He was invited by a student at the school, she paid for their tickets, and the school had no rule against bringing non-students as dates. The school claims they thought he was a security risk, but his dad had brought proof that he wasn't in the form of letters from the Citrus County Sheriff's Office, the Crystal River Police Department, and the Withlacoochee Technical Institute.

Either they're totally nuts or they just don't like homeschoolers.

BusyBee
User

Postby BusyBee » Thu Nov 23, 2006 9:55 pm

FLMom
User

Postby FLMom » Tue Dec 05, 2006 12:59 pm

Return to “Homeschool vs Public School”