How do you explain to "die-hard" homeschoolers tha

Want to contribute your views on the homeschool vs public school debate, or just looking for information? Post here!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

kkapfe
User

How do you explain to "die-hard" homeschoolers tha

Postby kkapfe » Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:08 pm

you are considering enrolling your kids in private school?

I believe that every family should be able to make their own decisions about education. My sister-in-law is a single mom with 3 kids and 2 jobs to make ends meet...homeschooling is not an option for her. She doesn't like public school but her options are a bit limited. I hear other people that are only pro-public school and seem to think that you are only a good parent if you send your kid to public school to evangelize their peers and be "socialized" in the "real world". I hear other people that are only pro-homeschool and seem to think that you are sinning if you allow someone else to educate your child. I guess I'm somewhere in the middle in this. We started with Christian private school and brought my oldest home in first grade because she was having a really difficult time catching on to things. Why spend thousands of dollars just to have crying tantrums every night with homework? We didn't realize that she was ADD eventhough we saw a lot of signs. We've kept our kids (3 of them) home so that they could get 1-on-1 academic attention and progress at their own levels (some areas are ahead of grade level, some are behind).

The problem is that I'm finding more and more that I'm keeping them home because I like to teach and also because it helps me feel like I've "earned my keep" as a stay-at-home mom who doesn't bring in income financially. I don't know that this is the best reason. However, I feel like if I talk to anyone about it, the public schoolers will think that I've proven them right that homeschooling is bad. And if I talk to homeschoolers, they will think that I've failed. I'm feeling kind of selfish because I want to do something that doesn't revolve constantly around my kids.

Thoughts?

elliemaejune
User

Re: How do you explain to "die-hard" homeschoolers

Postby elliemaejune » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:56 am

Married to Mr. Ellie for over 40 years
Mother to 2 dds and 2 dsil
Grandmother to 1 sweet boy
Servant of 1 kitteh

Return to “Homeschool vs Public School”