Homeschooling for the first time in the 9th grade...

Want to contribute your views on the homeschool vs public school debate, or just looking for information? Post here!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

Quakeproof
User

Homeschooling for the first time in the 9th grade...

Postby Quakeproof » Mon May 29, 2006 9:16 am

I am still debating about whether or not to homeschool my daughter next year in the 9th grade. I have to work because I am a single mom, so my parents would do most of the work. I am a teacher so I would plan her curriculum and lessons.

First of all, I am afraid of the repercussions I might have from the school system I that I am employed by.

Secondly, she does not want to home school.

The reason I am thinking about it is because I believe she is being affected by her peers regarding attitude and behavior. I feel like I am slowly losing her to rebellion.

Has anyone got any experience with beginning homeschooling this late in the game for the first time, and if so, how did it work out. Did your child's attitude improve or worsen?

Theodore

Re: Homeschooling for the first time in the 9th grade...

Postby Theodore » Mon May 29, 2006 6:12 pm

You are not the first public school teacher to homeschool her own children. The PTA might not love you quite as much if you homeschool, but you won't get fired or anything like that. If you let me know what state you're in, I can give you some links that will tell you how friendly your state is towards homeschooling.

As for your second point, it's not really up to her whether she homeschools or not. Right now she's used to goofing off with her friends and probably not having to put in much effort on her homework, so homeschooling is naturally not going to look like a lot of fun. But if she's being headed the wrong way by public school, then fun will just have to make way. Once she gets used to the new way of things, homeschooling won't seem so bad, anyhow - she can be done with her work for the day by noon, and move on to more interesting subjects and extracurriculars.

Quakeproof
User

Postby Quakeproof » Mon May 29, 2006 10:10 pm

I am from South Georgia... and I can assure you that I will not be the most popular teacher on the block...

Theodore

Georgia has rather strict requirements:

Postby Theodore » Tue May 30, 2006 2:03 am

Georgia legal requirements for homeschooling.
You're right, not a happy place for homeschoolers.

Georgia homeschool groups.
But there are quite a few homeschool support groups in GA.

hummingbird
User

The Wonderful Role of Teachers

Postby hummingbird » Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:03 pm

I am not sure I would recommend homeschooling your child for the reasons that you give. Any person going through this time in life will probably deal with rebellion. Very few kids don't. Becoming an adult is a difficult period in life. If she doesn't want to be homeschooled, you might worsen her attitude. If the public school system is the problem, then maybe you could try private school? I think the most important thing to do is to introduce her to some better kids her own age. Have her talk to a counselor or some adult that could help her. Maybe if she is self-motivated, she will like home-schooling. I personally would have died being home-schooled at this age. I could not have kept myself motivated without a teacher talking to me and explaining the topics to me. There is nothing like having complicated subjects introduced by a knowledgeable adult. It makes learning a lot easier. :D :D

phil-pod
User

hi.....my opinion

Postby phil-pod » Wed Feb 28, 2007 9:14 am

~*Hannah*~

I love Gerard Way from MCR!!!

Calla_Dragon
User

Postby Calla_Dragon » Wed Feb 28, 2007 11:39 am

To be idle is a short road to death and to be diligent is a way of life; foolish people are idle, wise people are diligent.

StellarStory
User

Postby StellarStory » Fri Apr 27, 2007 9:58 pm

Return to “Homeschool vs Public School”