Is pridefulness a problem among hser's?

Want to contribute your views on the homeschool vs public school debate, or just looking for information? Post here!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

Sandy
User

Is pridefulness a problem among hser's?

Postby Sandy » Sat Jun 23, 2007 8:55 pm

Lenethren
User

Postby Lenethren » Sat Jun 23, 2007 11:00 pm

Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it.-Goethe

frogguruami
User

Postby frogguruami » Sun Jun 24, 2007 9:23 am

AM, homeschooling mom to Drake and Kyllian
www.seilerclan.info

StellarStory
User

Postby StellarStory » Mon Jun 25, 2007 7:12 pm

Last edited by StellarStory on Tue Jul 03, 2007 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Calla_Dragon
User

Postby Calla_Dragon » Mon Jun 25, 2007 8:42 pm

To be idle is a short road to death and to be diligent is a way of life; foolish people are idle, wise people are diligent.

Redhead
User

Postby Redhead » Tue Jul 03, 2007 2:37 pm

I personally feel like every person should be allowed to pursue the course of education for their child that they feel is best for their family--- whether it's homeschool, private school, or public school.

I will say, though, that all the arrogance I've personally had to endure has, in fact, come from homeschoolers. I've had to deal with people who think I shouldn't be using a formal curriculum for my preschoolers; they should be playing and I should spend all my time surfing the net for all the free stuff and putting something together from that. I can't even begin to say how disrespectfully I've been spoken to by other homeschool parents who seem to think they know what's best for every child on the planet.

I've also seen an inordinate amount of school bashing on homeschool forums, which I've always felt was inappropriate. It's one thing to explain why---from one's own personal experiences--- a person has chosen homeschooling over public or private; it's another thing entirely to just throw all teachers, schools, and students into one lump bucket and say they all stink. I don't like it when people take that snotty attitude with homeschooling, and it's no more attractive when I see it come from homeschoolers about formal schools.

So, yeah, I do think some homeschoolers are arrogant--- and so are some private school and public school parents. I think we'd all do well to remember that our goal should be to see every child succeed in terms of getting a good education and be supportive to that end.
Redhead
"Education without values, as useful as it is, seems rather to make man a more clever devil." C.S. Lewis

momo3boys
User

Postby momo3boys » Tue Jul 03, 2007 3:38 pm

Ouch, I need to do some serious repenting. I don't think that PS is the worst thing to do, but there are some children that I see that I KNOW would hugely benefit from HS and their parents aren't willing to even think about it for what ever reasons. That is when I get Judgmental. That is a reason to repent. :oops:
Phi 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.

seekingmyLord
User

Postby seekingmyLord » Wed Jul 04, 2007 5:14 am

I have a friend who is a piano teacher. She teaches public, private, and home schooled children. She has talked with me about this. However, whenever she uses an example she nearly always refers to one particular family and even mentions how the other homeschool children don't like that family's attitude.

How is in your heart? Are you purposely trying to look superior or make the other person seem inferior, or are you just enthusiastic about what you are doing?

When I watch my daughter practice a piano piece for weeks to play in a recital that takes less than a minute to perform... Yeah, I am proud of her, because I know how much work and perservance it took to get there. I, also, take some pride in myself for---or am I enthusiastic about?--helping her reach that goal and look forward to the next one.

Likewise, I am proud of--enthusiastic toward--homeschooling. I work at it! If I had a teaching job outside of my home, most people would think it is okay if I took pride in my job. Our jobs as homeschoolers are not really that visible to outsiders, so I think some people do go overboard with proving themselves (acting superior and prideful) to everyone when it comes to homeschooling, but I don't see the problem with having some pride--enthusiasm--in the work you are doing every day.

StellarStory
User

Postby StellarStory » Wed Jul 04, 2007 9:10 pm

I think there is a difference between being enthusiastic of what you are doing and putting others down because their way isn't the same as yours. You could call it pride but some pride is not wrong in my book.

seekingmyLord
User

Postby seekingmyLord » Thu Jul 05, 2007 5:44 am

Let's face it, the idea of homeschooling has always grated on others who are doing the conventional thing. For whatever reasons we may have, we have chosen a path less traveled. In the process of educating our children, we also educate ourselves beyond what the average parent does or ever needs to do.

Yet, we still get looked at like we are rebellious hippies, potential terrorists, cultists, or some other fringe group, which some most definitely are, but now that homeschooling has also become a modern exodus movement out from the public schools popular among conservative Christians... well, a new flavor was added to the list: elitism.

Fueled by studies showing higher test scores in general, homeschooling has also become a badge of honor for exceptional parenting above and beyond the call of duty.

Are we proud of homeschooling? Absolutely!

However, I think we all should be aware that homeschooling can be perceived as a put down just because we do it. There are always going to be people looking for flaws in it and in the people who do it. Saying homeschoolers, in general, are prideful can be just an easy sucker punch to knock you down to the level of stature these people feel when they are measuring their own life against one of a homeschooler.

Bottom line, if we take pride in homeschooling our own children, really spending quality and quantity time with them, that the other parents are not doing, we must think we are better than they are, but what may really be happening is that they feel their lives are inferior in comparison. Because they feel inferior, we must have been acting prideful...?

As I said, it is what is in your own heart. I don't know what is in yours, but I do know that the accusation of being prideful can be misunderstood and misused. I believe there are some haughty homeschoolers--we are a diverse group!--however I also think that the majority of us have experienced the benefits of homeschooling, so when we see another family struggling... of course, we are going to think how homeschooling might improve that situation! That is not pride, that is the the ability to assess challenges and the desire to teach. You would not be a homeschooling parent, if you did not have these traits in you.

momo3boys
User

Postby momo3boys » Thu Jul 05, 2007 7:18 am

I was just wondering "seeking my Lord" the story behind your signature. I was wondering why the judge said what she said. was she referring to a certain case? Just curious.
"Parents give up their rights when they drop the children off at public school." -- Melinda Harmon, Federal Judge, 1996
Phi 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.

seekingmyLord
User

Postby seekingmyLord » Thu Jul 05, 2007 3:49 pm

janw1256
User

Homeschooling Problems

Postby janw1256 » Fri Aug 31, 2007 2:32 pm

Last edited by janw1256 on Fri Aug 31, 2007 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

StellarStory
User

Postby StellarStory » Fri Aug 31, 2007 4:18 pm

Some of the most screwed up kids I see public, private or homeschool have some of the "nicest" parents. There is a reason for that.

Theodore

Postby Theodore » Fri Aug 31, 2007 6:16 pm

If you're too "nice", your kids never get sufficiently punished for anything they do wrong, resulting in a total lack of respect and your kids turning out to be little monsters. It's just as bad as being too harsh.

Return to “Homeschool vs Public School”