Why I plan to homeschool

Want to contribute your views on the homeschool vs public school debate, or just looking for information? Post here!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

MHALL10
User

Why I plan to homeschool

Postby MHALL10 » Wed May 16, 2007 11:25 am

I live in the state of Florida and I have a son who is currently in the 3rd grade. In Florida, each student must pass a Florida Assessment test to be promoted to the 4th grade. My son, who is an overall B student, failed the reading portion of the test. Although he was not excelling at school in his reading abilities, he was considered border line on-grade level. He had never been identified as a risk for failing the assessment test nor had he been receiving an special instruction (since he was not considered below grade level). Our school is insisting that our son be held back and repeat the 3rd grade (unless he excells on another assessment given in June). They do not consider the fact that he is a B student and has shown evidence of mastering the 3rd grade material to be of any significance. (By the way, he scored a grade level above on the Math portion of the test). As a result of the low score on the reading assessment, we took our son to a tutoring facility and had him evaluated there as well. The result of the tutoring assessment (which includes the California Assessment Test) demonstrated that he is reading on grade level (his grade equivalency is 4.0 and he is just finishing 3rd grade). The director at the facility believes that my son more than likely failed the Florida Assessment test because of test anxiety. My son agrees that he was very nervous taking the Florida Assessment test because he knew that if he did not pass he would be held back in 3rd grade! What a burden to put on a 9 year old. We are so frustrated with the system -- which is obviously not working in our case and have made the decision to home school. We are a bit nervous about our decision but feel that it is the best one for our child. Any similar experiences out there??

StellarStory
User

Postby StellarStory » Wed May 16, 2007 7:59 pm

4given
User

Postby 4given » Wed May 16, 2007 8:47 pm

Cally
User

Postby Cally » Thu May 17, 2007 8:31 am

momo3boys
User

Postby momo3boys » Sat May 19, 2007 7:13 am

Phi 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.

Return to “Homeschool vs Public School”