My experience with the public school

Want to contribute your views on the homeschool vs public school debate, or just looking for information? Post here!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

CindyA35
User

My experience with the public school

Postby CindyA35 » Thu Dec 07, 2006 5:02 am

My daughter has ADD and she has always struggled to make the good grades. The only way she was able to make the good grades was to be on medication. The medications had severe side effects though such as getting too skinny, dizziness, stomach aches etc. When she was off medication all I would hear from the teachers is "Is your daughter taking her medicine?" They want the children to be medicated so they won't look bad as a teacher. So the school won't look bad as a whole when the state test scores come in. I even had a teacher beg me to put her back on medication just long enough to take the Iowa test. That is sad! I believe that teachers should to be taught how to handle a child that has ADD. My child wasn't bad or didn't get in trouble alot in school, it was just that she daydreamed and didn't concentrate. I found a web site that actually says how a teacher should teach a child with ADD.

http://www.kidsource.com/kidsource/content2/add.html

After reading it I asked my daughter if any of her teachers ever did any of these things to help her and she said no. They just yelled at her all the time to quit daydreaming or to pay attention or "You should have been listening" At her school I can pretty much pick out the teachers that are dedicated teachers and caring teachers but they are few and far between. Most are out to just make a living doing something. I can remember when I was in elementary and junior high every teacher I had was dedicated. I find more and more now that they are not. I figured since I was teaching my child at home anyway I might as well be doing it full time. I have just ordered A Beka and I am expecting some great result from my daughter. She will have a quiet atmosphere where she can finally concentrate. She is very excited.
Last edited by CindyA35 on Fri Dec 08, 2006 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

momo3boys
User

Postby momo3boys » Thu Dec 07, 2006 1:18 pm

I was put in the corner of the room and forced to do my work facing a poster of Carmen Sandieg!, I wsn't ADD i was depressed and having a hard time coping with probelms in my family. This was in 5th and 6th grade.
Phi 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.

Mark

Postby Mark » Tue Dec 12, 2006 1:04 pm

glad to see you're going to do what you need by your daughter, ma'am.
:)

Mark

Return to “Homeschool vs Public School”