Is it normal...?

Want to contribute your views on the homeschool vs public school debate, or just looking for information? Post here!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

kkapfe
User

Is it normal...?

Postby kkapfe » Wed Nov 29, 2006 1:48 pm

I was wondering if it was normal to want to homeschool one of your children and put the other one in a private Christian school?

My oldest is in 1st grade and really needs to be homeschooled because she performs so drastically better being taught one-on-one. Her grades and reading have improved so much that I can't hardly believe it myself.

My middle daughter who would be starting kindergarten next fall may benefit from attending the private Christian school that my oldest initially did. She seems to need constant interaction and butts heads a lot with her siblings. I'm wondering if she would do better being in private school. If she did go to private school, I'm nervous about being able to have as much influence with her as I do now. I don't want her picking up bad attitudes and such since she accomplishes that all on her own.

Also, if I have kids doing education differently, will they come back to me thinking it wasn't "fair". Will the homeschool people think I've failed because I couldn't homeschool all my kids? Will the private school people think I'm losing it because I don't send all my kids to school?

Any thoughts? Suggestions? Comments? from people who've had to use multiple approaches to educating their kids?

Aurie
User

Postby Aurie » Wed Nov 29, 2006 2:45 pm

Personally, I look at homeschooling the same way I do parenting. We not only parent different from each other, but we do parent our children different. They are differen people with different personalities.

Most people do not split up their kids when they decide to homeschool for many reasons, one of which is splitting can be really complicated with scheduling. But I have heard of people sending one to public/private school and keeping others home.

Will people judge you? Yes, people will always judge others. But if you are doing what you know is best for your children, then you don't have to listen to the comments of others. Will your kids say you were unfair or you somehow screwed them up? You bet! Even if you were the perfect parent (which none of us are), your children will find something to blame you for that is wrong with their lives. I think that is just the way of it. Most children grow up and past those ideas eventually when they start having their own kids and then think "Oh, that is why Mom or Dad did X, Y or Z!"

All any of us can do is the best that we can and hope we are doing better then the generations before us.

momo3boys
User

Postby momo3boys » Wed Nov 29, 2006 8:04 pm

Phi 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.

kkapfe
User

Postby kkapfe » Wed Nov 29, 2006 9:32 pm

Lenethren
User

Postby Lenethren » Thu Nov 30, 2006 12:26 pm

Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it.-Goethe

kkapfe
User

Postby kkapfe » Thu Nov 30, 2006 12:53 pm

FLMom
User

Postby FLMom » Tue Dec 05, 2006 12:49 pm

kkapfe
User

Postby kkapfe » Tue Dec 05, 2006 1:52 pm

Ramona
User

Postby Ramona » Tue Dec 05, 2006 4:03 pm

John Smith
User

Is it normal

Postby John Smith » Mon Jan 08, 2007 1:29 am

First off you cannot worry about what others will think or not think. You must do what you feel is right for your children.

I have four children. My two youngest daughters have been home schooled all their lives. My oldest daughter home schooled until 14 when she entered a public high school. My son also entered a junior high school against our better judgment. We knew it was not the best thing for him but buckled to the pressure. He wanted to be like everyone else. His older sister got straight A's in high school. The personalities and maturity level were different. She was able to excel in high school academically and socially.

The decisions you make, make from what you know about the child. Each child is unique. There are no two children alike. If you feel for whatever reason one child would do better in a private school and the other home schooled, your decision should not be questioned by anyone. You are responsible for your children. You know what is best. Trust your feelings.

Any decision you make can be changed.
HomeSchoolResourceNetwork.com
If we can remain positive - all things are possible!
Assisting families with education options based on life's governing principles.

Return to “Homeschool vs Public School”