How easy is it to get back into Public School after HS?

Want to contribute your views on the homeschool vs public school debate, or just looking for information? Post here!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

WAHMBrenda
User

Postby WAHMBrenda » Wed Feb 07, 2007 12:04 pm

Let me start off by saying that I think you're doing the right thing for your son. He sounds like he'll really thrive at home. As far as keeping up with the public school students, I wouldn't worry about that too much because it sounds like he'll probably go above and beyond what they're doing. However, if you're still concerned you can always search for "scope and sequence" online to see what should be covered each year/grade. Good luck!
If you're concerned about either the Earth or your health, then you owe it to yourself to check out this web site!

Calla_Dragon
User

Postby Calla_Dragon » Wed Feb 07, 2007 1:25 pm

To be idle is a short road to death and to be diligent is a way of life; foolish people are idle, wise people are diligent.

rafismom
User

returning to school

Postby rafismom » Wed Feb 07, 2007 6:06 pm

Against Homeschooling
User

Postby Against Homeschooling » Tue Feb 20, 2007 6:31 pm

I don't recall endorsing popular culture, guys. What I said is that many homeschoolers are frighteningly ignorant of it. And really, "popular culture" is a somewhat ambiguous phrase itself. I must admit that I've found parts of it that I really love. Mark says that his kids are into jazz music. Great! I personally love celtic music. I also love techno, ska, ragtime, and punk rock. Every one of these genres is part of popular culture - that is, the greater culture that we live in. What is scary is when there are homeschooled kids who have gotten so little exposure to it that they don't know Bartok from Brahms from the Beach Boys.

Rafismom: I don't believe that I know any diagnosed autistic homeschoolers, and if I did I obviously wouldn't blame their condition on the fact that they were homeschooled. Since you're wondering, my parents aren't fundamentalists.

You guys have peaked my curiosity regarding this dating issue. I don't mean to open up a dangerous can of worms here, but from my personal experience, being homeschooled is not conducive to the degree of emotional independence necessary to facilitate a romantic relationship. So, to parents of high school age homeschoolers: have your children dated? If not, is this because you hold religious or cultural convictions that such activities are innapropriate? I think that perhaps some of our disagreements here might stem from such differing social beliefs, so I would love to hear about your experiences in this part of parenting.

momofmy3kids
User

Postby momofmy3kids » Sat Mar 17, 2007 1:42 am

Martha
User

Postby Martha » Sat Mar 17, 2007 9:30 am

I just wanted to add that I was PS from start to finish...I don't know much about Popular Culture...I didn't date much (and when I did it was when I was 16 (dating age according to my parents) and then I found the love of my life (my husband) and have been married since 3 months after we graduated)...I have NEVER been to a rock concert...(I went to one that was several groups in one...but it wasn't a concert per say)...then after I was MARRIED I went to a Beach Boys concert. I have the same ideals as my parents when it comes to politics...as said before...it's only natural that you instill that in your kids..But just the same...I have the same parenting views as my mom, too...

I just dont think the things you used to diss homeschooling are valid arguements.
Martha

Against Homeschooling
User

Postby Against Homeschooling » Tue Mar 20, 2007 1:35 pm

Theodore

Postby Theodore » Tue Mar 20, 2007 1:55 pm

Against Homeschooling
User

Postby Against Homeschooling » Tue Mar 20, 2007 2:44 pm

mdsmomct
User

Postby mdsmomct » Wed Mar 21, 2007 11:13 am

Against Homeschooling
User

Postby Against Homeschooling » Wed Mar 21, 2007 4:03 pm

I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one who detests the five paragraph essay form. AP Exams, anybody? :?

I would hate to think that a basic desire for the ideal isn't a trait that will leave me with age, since it seems to be a fundamental feature of the human condition to desire that which we haven't yet achieved.

Forging lasting relationships is fine in 20/20 hindsight (and those with ample common sense might be able to focus on such redeeming friendships throughout their teen years) but the fact is that while you were making out with everybody in sight you were probably having rather a good time, and conversely I'm sure that the retrospectively negative experience has influenced you in a positive fashion. Likewise, your husband probably regretted his lack of assertiveness and could have benefited from more experience (he wasn't homeschooled, was he?)

But all that's really beside the point. All that I'm getting at is that homeschoolers are generally incapable of doing all these things which we may or may not agree with. Dating seems to be a good benchmark to judge the degree to which homeschooled kids are "getting out" because it's a popular activity among high school aged kids that, by definition, requires interaction with other people.

mdsmomct
User

Postby mdsmomct » Thu Mar 22, 2007 6:00 am

Yikes- I was not making out with everyone in sight. :shock:

My dh went to PS and was actually bullied and beat up on a regular basis in High School so he knows that negative socialization exists first hand and the teachers never helped him when he asked for help. Luckily, he went on to college where his brilliant mind was appreciated.

AHS I do hope you don't lose your idealism, but once wisdom settles in you can't help but see things a little more realistically and know that things just aren't always going to be what you want regardless of your actions.

Thanks for not picking apart my english skills....

Mark

Postby Mark » Thu Mar 22, 2007 11:30 am

momo3boys
User

Postby momo3boys » Fri Mar 23, 2007 2:54 pm

Just because something is fun doesn't mean that it is a good idea. I had "fun" on the outside but I was miserable on the inside. I was being used, and literally abused by my boyfriends. I want to teach my children that just because it looks like "fun" doesn't mean that you should do it. Life is full of choices and I want my children to make the right ones, and if they don't, at least have the attitude that they can learn from the mistakes before it affects the rest of their lives.

I am seeing an alarming new trend of parents that are sending their children to PS so that the teachers can "train" them for life. These children are graduating from school with a work ethic that doesn't exist. They are lazy, and inconsiderate of other's time and money. That is not how I want my children to be as adults. I love my children too much to let them be put in a school with teachers that are having to teach good behavior instead of how to learn.
Phi 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.

Against Homeschooling
User

Postby Against Homeschooling » Sat Mar 24, 2007 8:59 am

You're all stonewalling. I understand that you're all proud, as parents, and you don't want to take the hit of admitting that maybe some criticisms - important criticisms - of homeschooling are justified. However, it is simply not fair to your children to be an apologist for their lack of social opportunities.

I'm sorry, but if you think kids shouldn't date in high school (or, heaven forbid, shouldn't attend rock concerts) you are in a very small, very peculiar minority. Your anecdotal experiences, however tragic, should be told to your children as warnings regarding potentially dangerous activities and not as condemnations of those activities.

Return to “Homeschool vs Public School”