Why I am against Homeschooling

Want to contribute your views on the homeschool vs public school debate, or just looking for information? Post here!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

momofmy3kids
User

Postby momofmy3kids » Sun Apr 01, 2007 10:53 am

mdsmomct
User

Postby mdsmomct » Sun Apr 01, 2007 1:40 pm

LkmartinUSF
User

Neutral

Postby LkmartinUSF » Fri Apr 20, 2007 12:57 am

I have read through a lot of this ongoing almost impossible to finish topic! I would like to add a couple of things, first off I went to public school all my life and I am a college student doing a research paper which is why I am in this forum reading.

BUT as I was reading through I couldn't help but agree with some aspects and disagree with others. Public school isnt great everyone knows that but I think that it is what the student chooses to get out of their education experience. I went to a high school on the south side of town with a bad reputation, because it had the medical magnent program I was interested in. I took all advanced placement classes and graduated with high honors and a full scholarship to the University of Florida, which I had to turn down due to family issues. I did all of this at the same school with over 2500 students and daily lunch room brawls, granted the magnent students and the "regs", as we called them, were seperated for the most part. I think that school is like anything else in life, you get out of it what you put into it. I put a lot of effort into my education because it is MINE, if I needed additional help from a teacher I stayed after school often times missing my bus freshman and sophomore year and having to call my parents to come get me. Then again my parents were understanding and taught me my education came before anything else and its the kids with parents unlike mine or the ones that are willing to homeschool them that get lost in the public education system.

BUT on the other side of it the public school system has gotten extrememly lax about the selection of teachers. I read in a newspaper about 1yr ago that not all the teachers the dept. of education is hiring even have a degree in education they just go and apply to be a teacher because it turns out they do not like the field corresponding to their degree and BAM they become a teacher of impressionable young minds.

Anyways I will leave you with this information in hopes that you can respond and add something to my paper. I hope that nobody minds if I use some of their thoughts (without their name of course) in my paper, if you do just let me know.

Thanks.

Kitty-Cat
User

Postby Kitty-Cat » Sat Apr 21, 2007 1:04 am

Jo from Australia

momofone
User

Postby momofone » Sat Apr 21, 2007 6:50 am

StellarStory
User

Re: Neutral

Postby StellarStory » Fri May 04, 2007 9:24 pm

Deathcoreaddy
User

Strongly hates homeschool

Postby Deathcoreaddy » Sat May 19, 2007 1:36 am

momo3boys
User

Postby momo3boys » Sat May 19, 2007 7:10 am

Phi 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.

Mark

Postby Mark » Sat May 19, 2007 5:17 pm

StellarStory
User

Postby StellarStory » Sat May 19, 2007 6:26 pm

Deathcoreaddy
User

Postby Deathcoreaddy » Sat May 19, 2007 7:59 pm

4given
User

Postby 4given » Sat May 19, 2007 8:27 pm

Deathcoreaddy
User

Postby Deathcoreaddy » Sun May 20, 2007 5:21 pm

Theodore

Postby Theodore » Sun May 20, 2007 8:59 pm

Reality check, Deathcoreaddy - if you really want to be a professional singer, it's going to take a while to build up a career, and you will need an education and the good job and money that goes with it to pay your way in the meantime. Very few people can make their living entirely off singing and music, and I think you'll find that it's better to be able to make $15+ an hour than minimum wage, since that means you'll only need one job and not two (and will therefore have time for singing). What's more, an education means you're better able to produce professional-looking business proposals, and also means you're less likely to get ripped off by people in the music business. Education is definitely not useless just because you want to be a singer.

As for the rest, homeschooling does not mean isolation. I do think that homeschooling is the best option for grade school, but beyond that there are high school extracurriculars and community college courses - we're certainly not advocating staying in a protective bubble for life. And if homeschool groups and church aren't enough, there are usually neighborhood activities available if you do a little searching. Our neighborhood has a swim team, for instance, that a number of my siblings participate in every year. And there are nearby soup kitchens, veteran's hospitals, etc. for volunteering at.

Creation and evolution are both religions, you either believe them or you don't. Neither offers scientific proof for how mankind originated, though I do think it's a lot easier to scientifically disprove evolution. I'm sure you've heard the debate ad nauseum, I won't go into it here.

Deathcoreaddy
User

Postby Deathcoreaddy » Mon May 21, 2007 12:25 am

Return to “Homeschool vs Public School”