Why I am against Homeschooling

Want to contribute your views on the homeschool vs public school debate, or just looking for information? Post here!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

4given
User

Postby 4given » Mon May 21, 2007 10:23 am

Calla_Dragon
User

Postby Calla_Dragon » Mon May 21, 2007 1:34 pm

To be idle is a short road to death and to be diligent is a way of life; foolish people are idle, wise people are diligent.

Deathcoreaddy
User

Postby Deathcoreaddy » Mon May 21, 2007 5:10 pm

WishboneDawn
User

Postby WishboneDawn » Mon May 21, 2007 5:50 pm

Calla_Dragon
User

Postby Calla_Dragon » Mon May 21, 2007 8:30 pm

To be idle is a short road to death and to be diligent is a way of life; foolish people are idle, wise people are diligent.

Theodore

Postby Theodore » Tue May 22, 2007 1:05 am

twiggybumble
User

Re: Why I am against Homeschooling

Postby twiggybumble » Fri May 25, 2007 2:50 pm

StellarStory
User

Postby StellarStory » Fri May 25, 2007 8:51 pm

twiggybumble
User

Postby twiggybumble » Mon May 28, 2007 2:44 am

StellarStory
User

Postby StellarStory » Mon May 28, 2007 12:03 pm

twiggybumble
User

Postby twiggybumble » Tue May 29, 2007 1:10 pm

StellarStory
User

Postby StellarStory » Tue May 29, 2007 7:24 pm

twiggybumble
User

Postby twiggybumble » Wed May 30, 2007 7:53 am

StellarStory
User

Postby StellarStory » Sun Jun 03, 2007 4:41 pm

ottbluver
User

Postby ottbluver » Tue Jun 05, 2007 8:54 pm

Hmm...since I just spent the last half hour or so reading through this thread, I might as well comment.

First of all, I've been going to public school my whole life. I'm a freshman in high school, and I've hated school dreadfully since sixth grade.

Funny, how pretty much nobody here was satisfied with their first schooling, whether is was homeschooling or regular school. I can understand both sides, but I must agree mostly with the anti-public-schoolers, if you will.

I'll start with the socialization issue. Some of you say that public school kids make great friends and are well socialized. Oh really? Then why do I go to school every day, and see angry, gloomy, frustrated students all over the campus? Best friends one week are oftentimes worst enemies the next. (now, I'm a high schooler, so I'm not exactly referring to younger students) Awful rumors spread faster than wildfires, and anyone "different" is guaranteed rejection. Homeschoolers: some of you say you have no friends and that you are lonely. Take it from me: you don't know true lonliness until you've had friends and still felt abandoned. I have friends, they've taught me wonderful listening skills; what they failed to do was provide me with speaking skills and comfort. With homeschooling, you have your parents at least! For the most part, they won't abandon you and stab you in the back. They're there to encourage you and help you learn; be grateful! You'd be very lucky to get such supportive peers in a public school. How would you like it if one month, you and this person were great friends. You told this person everything, and you felt as though they truly cared. Next month comes; they're telling everyone your secrets that you so trustingly gave away. Another month goes by, and they're hanging out with the wrong crowd. They've even began smoking crack. They come back and apologize, offering you some drugs to make up for their pain that they caused you. You refuse, and then the gossip turns into threats. Harsh huh? Typical for many public schools.

Time. Half of your teacher's class time is spent on: taking roll, controlling rowdy students, passing out papers, signing papers, counting kids tardy.....the other half of the class time is spent on working/teaching/whatever. What do you do with your time? Sit there and waste it is a popular choice. With homeschooling, you're pretty much on your own schedule, and little time is wasted.

As for sports and extracurricular activities, you need to get involved by yourself; nobody's going to come after you and beg you. There's plenty of things you can do, even drawing or writing can be done in almost any situation. Seriously, if you "can't" get involved in something then....well, I don't want to be rude, so I'll stop there.

I want to get out of this crummy place as soon as I can....I don't care how wonderful people say public schools are; I'm out of here. Of course people will like it at first, but I can guarantee that most ex-homeschoolers will miss homeschooling in some sort of way. Feel free to PM me or discuss this further here.
I love OTTBs (off the track thoroughbreds)

Return to “Homeschool vs Public School”