Army Homeschoolers

If you are homeschooling outside the US, or doing a lot of moving between military bases, share your stories, questions, and tips here!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

mom2anangel
User

Army Homeschoolers

Postby mom2anangel » Sat Jul 26, 2008 8:42 pm

Hi! I'm just starting out with homeschooling research. My DD is 2 1/2 and I'm a planner. My DH is in the Army and has 13 years left, so we will be moving every 2-4 years until 2021. I had a few questions for military veteran homeschooling families. I just wonder how the military family insures that all requirements are met no matter what state/ country you may be in. I want to know as much as I can about what I'm getting myself into before I start. Do military families have to do more documentation? What happens if you move in the middle of the year and don't meet the new states requirements? Who do you report to if you are in a foreign country? How do you find the support you need in the midst of constantly moving? :?: :?: :?:

tash
User

Postby tash » Sat Jan 23, 2010 9:16 pm

I know this is an old thread, but maybe this will help someone.....

whenever I move to a new place I go to googleand do a bunch of searches. Search for the name of the place and the thing that interests you. Then go to yahoo groups and search for groups that interest you.
Example: base name home school

also use the name of the closest town and the closet large town instead of the base name. So for fort drum you would search:
Fort Drum home school
Watertown home school
Syracuse home school

However in this example Syracuse is a bit of a drive. Doing a quick search I did find a Facebook page for a Fort Drum homeschooling group.

Also, especially with younger children, search for the base name and the word playgroup, and the words natural parenting. Also remember that other local chapters of groups may have connections to homeschoolers in the area. Groups to check would include LLL, BWI, API, and others.

You can also go to military and/or homeschooling forums (such as this one) and ask if anyone knows of a good group near the base where you are moving. For example: I know if you ever move to Fort Bliss there is a wonderful group on yahoo groups. When I was there they did all kinds of activities for all ages.
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/WEHST/
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/homeschool_elpaso/

Once you have found a group you can ask about the local info before you even move.

Return to “Homeschooling Overseas / Military Homeschooling”