New to this

If you are homeschooling outside the US, or doing a lot of moving between military bases, share your stories, questions, and tips here!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

mechwife
User

New to this

Postby mechwife » Tue Jan 17, 2006 8:26 pm

I am thinking of home schooling my son for the 3rd grade over this extended summer vacation. That will put him back up a grade where he belongs but thanks to constant moving in one year he was held back. I'm in TX. Does anyone know if its legal?

Theodore

Texas is one of the easiest states to homeschool in:

Postby Theodore » Tue Jan 17, 2006 10:05 pm

Texas is one of the easiest states to homeschool in.

From http://www.homeschoolfeast.com/homeschooling.htm:

Home schools are considered private schools and must use a written curriculum covering math, reading, spelling, grammar, and a course in good citizenship and must be conducted in a bona fide manner.

http://www.hslda.org/laws/default.asp?State=TX

EDIT: This does not, however, necessarily mean he will be accepted back into the school system at his new grade level. If you intend to homeschool your son only temporarily, it would probably be a good idea to find out what his school's position on entrance is, while you still have plenty of time to take any necessary action. Get their position in writing.

cg99ar
User

Postby cg99ar » Wed Jan 18, 2006 1:26 pm

WELCOME to the Board. We are prior Military as well and will be hs this summer as well. My son is 3rd graders now should be 4th but his reading is a problem. So we kept in back in 2nd.

What Theodore gave you is good check it out. Also ask more quesitons as well.

I'm Kathy nice to meet you. Oh Yeah what branch???
KB

Return to “Homeschooling Overseas / Military Homeschooling”