2nd Grader with Dyslexia

Are you homeschool a special needs child? Are you personally physically challenged? Here is the place to share your questions, tips, and experiences.

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

Krisci
User

2nd Grader with Dyslexia

Postby Krisci » Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:22 pm

Hi everybody.

My daughter was diagnosed with dyslexia this year. She does attend weekly therapy sessions but we decided homeschooling might be beneficial as well.

I'm trying to figure out her curriculum for 2nd Grade. Any recommendations? She's used A Beka at her school. She does really well at math (generally As or A-s on her tests) but story problems baffle her. I don't know if we should stick with A Beka for math. I also used A Beka when I homeschooled my son during 2nd grade so I'm very familiar with the curriculum.

I'm open to suggestions though. If you have a child with Dyslexia, I'd love to hear what curriculum you use and if it's 2nd grade, I'd love to hear what you used for each subject as well as your honest opinion of it. It would help so much. Thank you.

hscoach
User

Postby hscoach » Fri Jun 18, 2010 8:31 am

Here is a site that might be helpful. -

http://www.learningabledkids.com/learni ... urces.html

hayesatlbch
User

Dyslexia program K-3

Postby hayesatlbch » Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:14 pm

Llola
User

Postby Llola » Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:01 pm

I realized this thread is old but here's what I'm using with my son, who has severe dyslexia. My son is learning to read and spell. :D

Apples & Pears - Spelling program that really clicks with dyslexic kids.

Dancing Bears - Be sure to take the assessment. If your child needs a slower pace the go with Bear Necessities. The stories are quite strange but kids find them interesting.

Teaching Textbooks - This is a computer based math curriculum. It starts at grade 3 and it's not cheap but you may be able to pick it up cheaper at ebay. If you do have to pay full price, remember, you will be able to resell it and get back most of your money. My son thrives with this math program.

Winning With Writing - A gentle writing curriculum. It's very inexpensive and effective.

Growing With Grammar - My son is doing wonderful with this program. The lessons are short and easy to understand.

Return to “Special Needs Homeschooling”