Homeschooling a mentally handicapped child

Are you homeschool a special needs child? Are you personally physically challenged? Here is the place to share your questions, tips, and experiences.

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

rachelinnys
User

Homeschooling a mentally handicapped child

Postby rachelinnys » Wed Jun 16, 2010 6:02 pm

Hello everyone.

I'm new to home schooling. To make a long story short my daughter is a 15 year old girl with Williams Syndrome who is operating on a 1st to 2nd grade level. I have been home schooling her for 3 months due to her anxiety over school being so great she was vomiting every day while at school.

My question is: Can she be forced to take a 9th grade SAT test for her year end achievement test in NYS when she is at a 1st to second grade level? Her old IEP stated to give her a modified test at the "level of her peers."

When I submitted her IHEP I had copied a lot from the IEP the school had and didn't think to much of it at the time...for the teachers were always in a "don't worry about it" frame of mind.

Her past achievement testing was always way below the average and as the test got harder her anxiety got worse. It got so bad she had to be taken out of school this year.

I submitted a letter of request and a revised IHEP asking for her year end assessment be to the level of a 1-3 grade child and under NYS law it be a written report submitted by a independent party.

Unfortunately I didn't have much time to prepare for home school and have not gotten much help from the school over all.

I do not feel my daughter could physically get through this 9th grade level test and she would vomit due to stress. I had explained that in my letter as well.

I'm not sure if the school will accept the last minute change or insist on her taking a 9th grade level SAT test. Though she only needs Math and Reading to be tested.

I am aware that my daughter is the only handicapped child they have in home school. The person in charge of the home school regulations has NOT sent me any regulation pertaining to handicapped children. Only the basic regulations that anyone can find online for NYS.

It seems to me there should be exceptions for multiply disabled children when taking test. Especially one that is both physically and mentally handicapped who suffers from emotional anxiety issues. Any one have any ideas on where I can find additionally regulations?

Thank you.

hscoach
User

Postby hscoach » Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:57 pm

I do not know the answer to your question but I thought this article might be helpful. You might want to contact Homeschool Legal Defense Association to ask your question if you can't find an answer elsewhere.

http://www.hslda.org/strugglinglearner/sn_Klicka.asp

Return to “Special Needs Homeschooling”