anyone know about homeschooling special ed child in N.Y.

Are you homeschool a special needs child? Are you personally physically challenged? Here is the place to share your questions, tips, and experiences.

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

happycaringmom
User

anyone know about homeschooling special ed child in N.Y.

Postby happycaringmom » Tue May 30, 2006 3:25 pm

My daughter is in an inclusion 1st grade class. She has an I.E.P. The school district is passing her on to the 2nd grade starting in the fall. I told them I don't want her passed up because I knew she wasn't ready but they said they can't hold her back due to her age. I told them if they can't hold her bach than I'll homeschool her in the fall. They said I may not have a right to. I contacted Christian Law Associates. And they gave me the N.Y. homeschool laws that say a school district doesn't have a right to say I can't homeshool.They did however say that the I.E.P. committee can stop it. Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do? She gets speech therapy and Occupational therapy, along with special classes in math and reading. I know it will be rough to homeschool her but it's something I want to do for the best of my daughter. I gave her a homeschool placement test about a month ago and she came out at a Kindergarten grade level. Definetly not ready to go to 2nd.

Theodore

Re: anyone know about homeschooling special ed child in N.Y.

Postby Theodore » Wed May 31, 2006 2:02 am

The following looks like it says otherwise:
http://www.deafhomeschool.com/essential ... aw/ny.html
http://www.emsc.nysed.gov/nonpub/homeinstruction.html

"A district must offer a home-instructed student with disabilities the special education services, as recommended on the Individualized Education Program (IEP) by the Committee on Special Education."

http://www.piccnys.com/p-qa.htm

"Is it legal for me to home school my child with special education needs? Yes. Commissioner's Regulation 100.10 can be applied to any student of compulsory attendance age without regard to a possible or identified handicapping condition."

The purpose of the IEP is to determine what your daughter needs, but it sure looks like the IEP committee has no power over whether you can homeschool or not. They're supposed to help you, not dictate to you.

http://www.vesid.nysed.gov/specialed/pu ... /home.html

"The process of providing a free appropriate public education to a student with a disability requires that each student have an individualized education program (IEP). The IEP is the document that identifies a student with a disability’s uniqueneeds. It sets forth the recommendations for the supports, services, programs and accommodations necessary to address those unique needs and to support that student’s participation and progress in the general curriculum (or, for preschool students, to support the student’s participation in age appropriate activities)."

momo3boys
User

Postby momo3boys » Wed May 31, 2006 9:27 am

I live in MA, but the regulations are very similar. My son was going to be passed on to 2nd, and was barely in first grade reading and math. He now recieves special services from 1-2 at the school everyday. They were very accomidating, and he receives, OT, speech, and sped. He also goes to Gym once a week. These are all things you should be able to do. We homeschool int he AM, have lunch and them go to school. I hope this helps.
Phi 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.

happycaringmom
User

Postby happycaringmom » Thu Jun 01, 2006 6:24 pm

momo3boys
User

Postby momo3boys » Sun Jun 04, 2006 12:33 pm

Phi 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.

patandsoxfan
User

Postby patandsoxfan » Sat Oct 28, 2006 9:00 am

~*Carol*~

Return to “Special Needs Homeschooling”