Should I take him out now?

Are you homeschool a special needs child? Are you personally physically challenged? Here is the place to share your questions, tips, and experiences.

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

vmsgirl71
User

Should I take him out now?

Postby vmsgirl71 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:27 am

My son is 14, ADHD/ODD, and dyslexic. he has failed his 8th grade year..or so I have been told by the school at the beginning of his 4th quarter. He has 8 weeks left of school until summer.
MY son, Brand, has pretty much checked out of his classes. He goes to school soley for the social aspect. On a side note, I received notification during his IEP that he's failed, however, he'll be transitioning to public high school anyways. Since when does a child fail and still move on to the next grade?? Thats been an eye opener, for sure.
Brand became very upset and unconsolable just before Spring Break which led me to getting him into the doctor quicky because he said he didn't care anymore about anything and he was just "done". He wrote a class assignment that stated his feelings and that he thought the teacher was stupid and the class was something I'd rather not say on this forum.
This put him in In School Suspension for 2 days and Brand's actions frightened me. His psychologist told him to just "hang loose" and "stay under the radar" the rest of the year and not to worry about missed assignments. OK this didn't sit well with me...hang loose?? stay below the radar?? Since when can a ADHD kid not react to outside stimuli when all of his classes are mainstreamed with 30+ kids and a teacher barking out multiple assignments??? There is no way he can "hang loose". :x
So, I emailed with a member of my local forum and she asked me why not take him out of school now and let him relax? Afterall he's failed the year and I am going to HS him anyways....
I feel like he should finish out the year, but for his own sanity, I think maybe I should just follow her suggestion and pull him out this Friday when he sees the psychiatrist.
Has anyone else pulled their child this close to the end of the year???
I wold certainly appreciate opinions.
Thanks!!
Barbie
"momma" to Brandon; 14 and two pups, Bugsy 6 and Milo 4 mos!

4given
User

Postby 4given » Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:42 am

If it was my son... I would ABSOLUTELY withdraw him now.

vmsgirl71
User

Postby vmsgirl71 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:42 am

Barbie

"momma" to Brandon; 14 and two pups, Bugsy 6 and Milo 4 mos!

sartasd
User

Postby sartasd » Sat May 16, 2009 1:55 pm

Sharon

Theodore

Postby Theodore » Wed May 27, 2009 12:47 am

ADHD is usually just massive boredom combined with a lot of energy. One solution I've heard is to just have your kids run around the building a few times before doing homework, but you also need to reduce the boredom aspect somewhat by not forcing them to sit still for 7 hours. One advantage of homeschooling is you can do in 2 or 3 hours what the school does in 7 - no wasted time sitting there listening to inane questions from other children :)

I'd probably have gone a bit nuts.

Return to “Special Needs Homeschooling”