Homeschooling an "Educable Slow" Learner

Are you homeschool a special needs child? Are you personally physically challenged? Here is the place to share your questions, tips, and experiences.

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

BJ Oakes
User

Homeschooling an "Educable Slow" Learner

Postby BJ Oakes » Sun Feb 22, 2009 3:39 pm

Warmest Regards, BJ

Everyone is a teacher and a learner.

Miss_Kristy
User

Postby Miss_Kristy » Sun Feb 22, 2009 6:41 pm

elliemaejune
User

Re: Homeschooling an "Educable Slow" Learner

Postby elliemaejune » Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:33 pm

Married to Mr. Ellie for over 40 years
Mother to 2 dds and 2 dsil
Grandmother to 1 sweet boy
Servant of 1 kitteh

LA
User

Postby LA » Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:50 pm

Dear BJ,

I have a somewhat similar problem. I am homeschooling my 12 year old granddaughter who was adopted by my son and his wife about 2 years ago. She was in public school up until that time. Until she was 7 she had been in a very unstable environment and pretty much lost the whole first year of school. This past year we have been using ACE or School of Tomorrow. She is about 2 years behind grade level. I think it works well for a slow-learner. You can go as fast or as slow as you need to. Your child will take a diagnostic test bfore starting this curriculum to show you where he/she needs to begin. My gd had to make up a few PACES (these are the work books they use) in math and English to start at 5th grade level. The diagnostic test is available online for free. Their website is www.aceministries.com if you are interested. The ACE stands for Accelerated Christian Education but it is really NOT an accelerated program.

LA

Whoosh
User

Whoosh

Postby Whoosh » Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:23 pm

BJ, your child is truly privileged to have the opportunity to excel in your household! I would like to suggest a supplementary program that I have come to uphold called Whoosh Learning.

Whoosh Learning is designed to give our children a boost in spelling, reading, and mathematics through visual, auditory and interactive forms of learning. It isn't another "Dora" video game that injects minimal learning into a movie, but is actually constructed to teach our children! It uses repetition, confirmation, and a rewards system to reinforce taught concepts.

There is a woman located in Chicago named Dr. Molly Keogh who developed this program that has essentially changed my perspective on learning. Their aim for our children is not only to learn the material, but to actually master and retain that information, which is when Dr. Molly says true learning takes place. The multiplication table is a great example of this method. It is learned, practiced, tested, timed, and ultimately retained for life. Once a skill is truly mastered, it can be quickly recalled and can be the base for greater learning.

Go to http://www.whooshlearning.com/ for more information!
Aaron Caddel
Whoosh Learning
http://www.whooshlearning.com/

Veronicabrown
User

HELP Delayed learner

Postby Veronicabrown » Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:48 am

Hello I just came upon this thread and it was just what I was looking for. BJ Oates if you are still out there could you please contact me on your progress and what materials you used. We have just gotten custody of my husbads 14 year old daughter and she is only on a 5th grade level. I need help as to what direction to take her in. I know I can do it and you just help motivate me even more. Thank You;-)

romacox
User

Postby romacox » Wed Sep 14, 2011 4:57 am

allan
User

Postby allan » Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:41 am

Lisaav
User

Processing disorder and learning disibility

Postby Lisaav » Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:44 am

I was wondering if anybody has any advice for me?
My daughter is 12 and I was told she was on a 3rd
Grade level. We tried middle school for about a week
But the teachers were very impatient with her
(They were resource teachers!)..so I saw that middle
Wasn't going to work so I started homeschooling her.
We are working in different grade level workbooks
nothing above 3rd :( we made some progress.
I found out we are moving to another city soon I was
wondering if maybe a different middle school
would be a option? I just need some advice any would be
nice lol... Thanks and if I posted on somebody
else page pls forgive me I'm new on here thanks

Texas_Mama
User

Postby Texas_Mama » Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:30 pm

Have you heard of the All About Reading curriculum? It is very well known in the special needs community because it uses a multi sensory method called the Orton Gillingham method.
I would definitely recommend home schooling...to boost confidence and help you advocate for your child. your school district is required by law to do all sorts of tests and evaluations for free for you, regardless of whether or not your child attends public school

junelandon
User

Postby junelandon » Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:01 am

Return to “Special Needs Homeschooling”