IEP, Homeschooling, loosing services

Are you homeschool a special needs child? Are you personally physically challenged? Here is the place to share your questions, tips, and experiences.

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

northernroots
User

IEP, Homeschooling, loosing services

Postby northernroots » Thu Mar 17, 2016 9:15 pm

ravi
User

Re: IEP, Homeschooling, loosing services

Postby ravi » Wed Feb 16, 2022 9:07 pm

I have a friend whose daughter is enrolled in Queen Creek. She has an IEP. She is being forced to send her child in person starting Monday. If she chooses to go with on line she must sign over and forfeit her child’s special education services. This cannot be legal. Does anyone have any information I can share with this parent? I encouraged her to reach out to the AZ Center for Disability Law and to not sign a thing

elliemaejune
User

Postby elliemaejune » Sun Mar 06, 2022 8:28 am

I don't know what "Queen Creek" is, and I don't know who is forcing your friend to send her child to school or why. Also, I don't know what the AZ Center for Disability Law is, either. So many things I don't know, which makes it difficult for me to answer any questions.

If your friend is privately homeschooling, she could contact Home School Legal Defense Association. If "Queen Creek" is a public school that has virtual learning, that makes a difference. Possibly she could still contact HSLDA, but I don't know.
Married to Mr. Ellie for over 40 years
Mother to 2 dds and 2 dsil
Grandmother to 1 sweet boy
Servant of 1 kitteh

JohnWilliams
User

Postby JohnWilliams » Thu Feb 09, 2023 2:25 pm

That child shouldn't be forced to go to school or attend face-to-face classes. That's just illegal I think. I wouldn't want my child to feel pressured like that . Hmm.

In Michigan, students receiving the service under the special education rules receive a minimum of two nonconsecutive hours of instruction per week. The two one-hour sessions for a student with an IEP may be on the same day; however, there must be an adequate break between the two sessions. Article 23 of the Convention on the Rights of the Child refers to the obligation of States parties and recognizes that a child with mental or physical disabilities is entitled to enjoy a full and decent-life, in conditions that ensure dignity, promote self-reliance and facilitate the child’s active participation in the community.

https://emethgym.com/

Return to “Special Needs Homeschooling”