Homeschool curriculum ideas for ADHD child

Are you homeschool a special needs child? Are you personally physically challenged? Here is the place to share your questions, tips, and experiences.

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

Dan2grayfam
User

Homeschool curriculum ideas for ADHD child

Postby Dan2grayfam » Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:29 am

My daughter is going into second grade and we have been homeschooling for the past two years. We used Sonlight for Kindergarden and Abeka for 1st grade. I enjoyed Abeka but I think my daughter found it to be very uninteresting. I am interested to see what others with ADHD children used for subjects like phonics and reading and writing. We are using MathUSee for math and that she seems to enjoy. She is very hands on and creative. Any suggestions???

hscoach
User

Postby hscoach » Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:21 pm

1to1tutor
User

Postby 1to1tutor » Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:41 am

christine540
User

Postby christine540 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:49 am

thanks for the answers. We've decided to move forward with HS'ing in July and I'm assembling things that keep him on focus.

Texas_Mama
User

Postby Texas_Mama » Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:23 pm

I have two children on the autism spectrum, one with ADHD. I have been researching curriculums for my Pre-K son, and most folks with ADHD kiddos tend to do 'All About Reading' and 'All About Spelling.' These use a multi-sensory method called Orton-Gillingham. They are also strong academic programs while helping the ADHD kids avoid over-stimulation and stemming behaviors

christine540
User

Postby christine540 » Wed May 01, 2013 6:23 am

multi-sensory, thanks, that sounds like my son!

cindyg
User

Postby cindyg » Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:52 pm

I have been homeschooling my son since 3rd grade (now in 6th). I am personally not a specific curriculum type of mom. I use lots of different things for my son and I change things up a bit at times.

As an example, right now we are using Easy Peasy Language Arts
Khan University and my husband are teaching math!
We are using Teens Health (kidshealth.org/teen) for health. We rotate on doing health and science. He also does science stuff through our homeschool co-op.
For history right now we are really studying each of the US States and he does his own research and fills out a questioner that I borrowed from a friend. Then I test him on what he has learned.

Next semester, things might be totally different though!

The only other suggestion that I have is to not stress if she does not sit down and can not be still. Let her move around a bit!
Cindy Grayson
Mom to: John age 11 and Candice age 19
Save Money on Your Entire Families Medical Costs

Return to “Special Needs Homeschooling”